Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your craziest experience while bowhunting? >

What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

One time we had seen this 8 point and a doe in heat bed down . . . whenever they left my dad and i walked over to where the doe was bedded . . all of a suddenwe hear this sound and when we turn around This little buckcame charging in. I guesshe thought we were the doe in heat and started to walk within 5 yards of us . We started to yell and walk away and the buck kept following us, then we threw a stick at the buck and he still kept following. We hustled back to the truck and with a hot doe in the area my dad decided to hunt a stand 50 yards from where the little buck had parted ways with us. When my dad was walking back into the stand low and behold that little buck came running back to my dad. my dad chased after him with a stick screaming and looking like a mad man and scared the crap out of that little buck.The look on that bucks face when my dad started running at himwas priceless and I know that little buck had to be thinkingthat this "hot doe" wasn't worth it and decided to turn tail and run for his life.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't happen to me, but a friend told me about an article he read......man was elk hunting and shot a nice elk, when after some time a man dressed in complete black comes up to the hunter and says he's with fish and game and that he took the elk illegally and must forfit the elk. Hunter being suspicious and knowing he took it legally, told the guy to get lost etc......guy knocks him over the head/unconscious, hunter comes to the elk head is gone!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Holloween morning this year i had a black cat hanging around my stand and sitting on my ladder. I ended up shooting a nice 7 pointer with the cat watching from my ladder.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

when my dad was about my age he went out hunting with a friend of his. he fell asleep in the blind (he does that a lot) anyway. When he woke up there was a Doe smelling him. He just sat and watched the doe smell him and stare at him for a while because he had no Doe permit.

When I was about 10-12 years old I went out "hunting" with my dad, uncle and cousins on some state land during firearm deer season. i went mostly for learning purposes so i'd be ready when the year came that i could ACTUALLY hunt. But i carried a RedRyder bb gun anyhow. just to make myself feel more hunterish. about noon i hear some shots fired from over the hill and a doe emerges and proceeds to walk straight toward me. i figured she'd see me and turn eventually but nope. she came to about 5' when i stood up. I kinda scared her i guess but she didn't act like it. she just kinda turned and walked toward my Dad's blind. I waited but there were no shots.....what the heck? At lunch I found out that he couldn't get the safety off his shotgunbecause of his gloves hahaha

My dad, my uncle, and some of their friends were driving home from hunting and they accidentally hit a deer. they checked with the DNR to see if they could tag it and the DNR allowed it so they tagged it. they didn't have a knife to field dress it so they left my uncle to watch the corpse while they went home to grab one. they ran the truck's tire over the deer's neck just to make sure it didn't wake up. unfortunately for my uncle...it did. he tackled the thing and did his best to keep it still until the guys got back with the knife. they finally (re)killed it. but my uncle was real banged up afterward
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt pheasents alot, one time after the hunt we braught the birds into the house to clean. there are 4 of us and all of the sudden one of the "dead" birds wakes up and starts running and flying all around the house. The dogs and the cat,(which was a manx, big cat)all took off after the bird and we were all watching stunned at this circus show, The cat ended up jumping up and catching the bird in mid flight on the kitchen table. We were all truely amazed, and laughing.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 AM

On our island here we hunt alot of goats , way up in the mountains . Well two friends were about 30 yards up from me getting ready to draw back on about 15 or so goats then the goats caught wind of something and split . Next thing I know Goats are at full speed coming at me on my left and right. I tried pulling my bow back thinking maybe I could get off a shot and also just to scare these horned animals away from me. Well prong rest's dont work well in those sittuations and my bow went one way and my arrow went the other way as I tried to draw back[]. Zoom , zoom ,zoom they went by . Kind of freaky . Ive had a whisker Bisquit rest ever since
Old 03-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 6 years ago, I had a hog chase me into the back of my truck, and I just barley made it, the second shot drilled this dude.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

many years ago while hunting in my native outback Australia for Goats and Hogs i decided to take a break from walking and settled down under a nice tree about 15 meters from a rabbit warren
normally i can sit tlike this have a nap and wake up slowly to find rabbits everywhere i then shoot one if im lucky and do the process again only this time i wake up after about 25 mins i gues to find One of our poisonous snakes a red belly black snake had decided i was a nice warm rock to sleep on well now thay cant really kill yo ubut damm they will make you real sick and considering i was about 5 hours from any major town it was not a good position to be in

so all i could do was sorta act like a little earthquake and start shakeing my knees to make it want to move off and eventually it did but not a good position to be in i can tell ya

i guess the only other thing that springs to mind isnt funny but was a great moment in hunting for me i was hunting with friends in the UP of Michigan for whitetail and had setup our stands the day before for an early morning rise well yo uhave to consider i have never been here before and dont know the area

so im on my atv and arrive at my trail into my stand and its still dark about 4 in the morning and i hear all around me coyotees howling and to me it sounds like there right behind me so isort of panic alittle and get a bit lost so i calm down and start to look for my reflective tacks again, i finally find my stand still shakey because the havent shut up howling yet and my mind is playing tricks on me and i think i see movement so lets just say i ran up that tree

so now im sitting here heart going at a hundred miles and hour and i suddenly think i gotta record this sound on my video camera yes its dark but it will make a great sound for my wife and friends to hear when i get back to camp so i get the camera out turn it on start to record and dammm if they didnt just go quite i didnt get a thing on record and had no proof of the noise they were making to show anyone

but it was an experience i wont forget i have been back to that area since and heard them many times and they dont scare me now but it does make for one of those experiences that i will never forget

Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 AM
N2D

In early season last year I arrived on stand about an hour before daylight as usual. Just as it was barely getting light, somethig hit me on the right side of my head just above my ear and where my hat was. It hit me so hard that it rocked my head to one side. I sat there for a couple seconds trying to figure out what in the heck that could of been. My first thought was a bat but I knew that no bat could be that big around here. Then all of a sudden "wack" right on the forehead. This time it was not as hard of a blow because it deflected somewhat.

I got a very slight glance at it but it was still too dark to make out what it was. After another couple seconds it made another run and barely missed but was so close I felt the wind from it. That was enough for me. I stood up, took off my hat and began waving itand waving my arms. It never came back. I hunted the rest of the morning but got skunked. When I got home I told my wife the story and she laughed her butt off. She looked at my scalp and there was three small puncture holes and it had been bleeding some.

Never did find out what it was but I would reckon it was either a hawk or some kind of an owl.

Ed
Old 03-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to hunt this doe-only public-spot that is a tallgrass-prairie. No trees and just a few bushes. The rest was just hundreds and hundreds of acres of 3-foot high grass. The best way I found to hunt it was to find these depressions and kneel down in them and wait for dusk and for the deer to start moving around.

Well, one day I executed my best plan; I literally crawled, on hands and knees for well-over 200-yards through the grass to this depression that looked like it was perfect depth. I sat there for about half an hour when all of a sudden all these deer start appearing out of the grass and running like hell towards me to my left. They're about 100-yards away and more, so no hopes for a shot. I look ahead of me to my right and there's these guys walking across the prairie bent over at the waist, totally visible from 300-yards away. Just as I notice them, this huge 8-pointer appears right in front of me and is coming straight at me. He's massive and pissed! He'd run for a few leaps, turn and look back at these guys and give this really forced ehale, like a 'HOOF'. Run towards me a few, turn and look and 'HOOF' again. Three times he did this and ended up directly in front of me. That buck got about 6 or 7 FEET away from me before I got scared enough to get his attention with a wave. He just looked at me, looked back at these two guys,and then just stares back at me for like 10-seconds or so. I was like an hour!I thought for surehe was gonnacharge me. I'm all scrunched up in a little ball squatted down on the ground trying to hide behind my bow. He finally took off in the direction the rest of the deerwent. About 100-yards from me, he turned and looked back and let out this almost-shreik of a noise, I never would have guessed a deer would make.

That was my second-closest experience with a deer. But it was the scariest for sure.

Quick Reply: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.