Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So educate me on Plat maps >

So educate me on Plat maps

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So educate me on Plat maps

Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default So educate me on Plat maps

Where do ya get them?

How big an area can you get?

How specific do you have to be about the area?

Cost?

Help I know nothing here.....
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: So educate me on Plat maps

It's a to scale drawing of a piece of property. The best source is usually at the County level. They have plat maps of every piece of property within the county. They're in large books. It's all for tax purposes and keeping track of who owns what. Most counties will let you browse the plat books to find out owners, size etc. Most will make you a copy of a plat map on a smaller scale if you want but they'll charge you a fee. Sometimes the local townships, parishes or whateverwill have the same things for their town and will let you find info. The more populated the area the bigger the books.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

call the county court house, they will have it or they will give you the number to the office who does. i think in this county it is at the "county extension office." plat books go by the county, that is as far as they range. they almost always cost $20.00. they are pretty accurate except for people not turning in the fact that they sold their land, i have ran into that a lot but atleast the person who sold the land can usually tell you who has it. it will give you the persons name, how much land they own, if they own more land, and where, sometimes it gives the persons number but if not you can look up the phone number on the internet, it is always better to meet them face to face. i use plat books religously, that is the only way to aquire hunting land out of state and in areas you aren't aquainted with yet. i like to bring up google earth, or maps.live.com start searching for decent pieces of land with the plat book right next to the computer. when you open up the book one page will show you roads and the other page will show you land cut ups.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My local counties have internet based plat maps. You can do everything from home to include satellite imagery with overlying property lines. You can even look at owner name/address. Very handy.

Go to google.com or ixquick.com and search for "xxxxxx county tax maps". Or, call the court house and ask if they have a website.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

My county used to have them online..they quit that practice. Tried the interet search route prior to asking.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

county extension office.....and each book is for one county
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 125py

But you get a copy of the whole book?? Or just look at it there and pick pages?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM

It might be dicey photocopying pages out of a plat book. I think that they're copyrighted. I know that people do it allthe time, but... Usually they're spiral bound, 81/2 x 11,contain the entire county and cost about $20. A mile square section shows up about 1.5" square.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: 125py

But you get a copy of the whole book?? Or just look at it there and pick pages?
Depending on which county you're in (in Oklahoma anyway) they'll let you pick pages or the entire book is like $14. If you like you can have it enlarged to scale at a print shop and overlay it with these maps and it works very well...

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10096
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.. Good info!

Quick Reply: So educate me on Plat maps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.