Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Peep Tubing........ >

Peep Tubing........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep Tubing........

Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Peep Tubing........

While I'm not a big fan of TV hunting shows or their "resident hunting experts" I watch them anyway because I like to watch hunting period. Well After watching quite a few of them I noticed that the majority of the hunters use a peep with the tubing attached.

Now as most of you know I'm a big advocate of peep tubing. I think the pros far outweigh the cons and apparently so do a lot of the "Pro" TV hunters as well. Yet every time it's brought up on these boards folks shoot it down like it's the plague or something, why?

I think peep tubing has gotten a bad rap for several reasons.....One I don't think most know how to put it on correctly. Most (I believe) make it way to tight. They don't set the peep correctly and expect the tubing to pullthe peepinto position no matter how they install it in the string. They also don't change it often enough....some not at all.This will only cause the tube to break,and as Mr. Murphy would dictate, at the worst possible time.

The peep should beinstalled just like if it were tubeless. Then the tubing attached just LONG enough to keep it aligned. I recommend it to be changed twice a year whetheryou think it needs it or not. It only takes a few seconds and costs a couple dollars. If this is done you will get reliable service out of your peep tubing and you will never be in a position where you can't see through your peep.

I'm sure someone will post on this thread about using a "quality string and cable set" and I agree that's always a good idea.....However, even the BEST material and constructed strings can and do creep or stretch. Drastic weather changed can bring this on, they are subject to pressure and temperature changes just like anything else so to say that they will never creep (once settled in) is pure bunk.

Also, what about the folks who buy a brand new bow that doesn't come with "quality strings"? Are they simply screwed? Do they now HAVE to go out and buy a brand new string and cable set to replace the brand new on on the brand new bow they just bought and haven't even shot yet?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that most of the TV hunters use a peep with tubing too and what your thoughts on it were?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Peep Tubing........

different strokes for different folks.

I don't use one and have never had a problem with peep alignment. My friend however can't get his to align right because of his sub par strings so he is switching over to one.

I think another reason could be cosmetics. Alot of people are greatly influenced by what their bow looks like, and a loop of tubing at the top isn't as neat looking as a peep without it. Doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but could be another reason why some dont use it.

You make a good point about quality strings though. A LOT of new bows come with not so great strings. Like you said, a peep tube would eliminate the possible need for new strings. I, however, am about to place an order with Mr. Giblet for some bucknasty strings. Red and Black combo will look mighty sharp on my vectrix.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think most of the t.v. hunters could hold a candle to the most knowledgeable bowyers in this forum. [8D]
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

different strokes for different folks.

I don't use one and have never had a problem with peep alignment. My friend however can't get his to align right because of his sub par strings so he is switching over to one.

I think another reason could be cosmetics. Alot of people are greatly influenced by what their bow looks like, and a loop of tubing at the top isn't as neat looking as a peep without it. Doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but could be another reason why some dont use it.

You make a good point about quality strings though. A LOT of new bows come with not so great strings. Like you said, a peep tube would eliminate the possible need for new strings. I, however, am about to place an order with Mr. Giblet for some bucknasty strings. Red and Black combo will look mighty sharp on my vectrix.
TEmbry,

I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially about the cosmetic point. I know I'd much rather not have the tubing on (from a looks stand point) but my paranoia about being able to see my pins at the moment of truth supersedes that.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I don't think most of the t.v. hunters could hold a candle to the most knowledgeable bowyers in this forum. [8D]
I really agree with that Greg!

But I just can't help but think those folks (on tv) have been at this sometime themselves and yet they still use the tubing......might just be something to it eh?

Now if I were shooting 3D or other competition, I'd most likely remove the tubing....targets don't run away if you have to let down and reset your peep.

It stays on my hunting bow!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

My local shop guy loves em, makes us all have em, though he says change it annually, just for safety, maintainence is cheaper than missing the buck of a lifetime cause its worn/breaks. He sets up most of my stuff so he knows what he's doing, if you don't know how to do something, ask....that's we people are out there for. I'm young at archerying maybe 6yrs of it so far, I trust the pro at my shop with probably 40+ years, seen all the fads come and go, is there everyday talking to many a hunter/shooter alike hearing opinions etc...

Am I the only guy that goes to a local shop and let's them take care of me? I don't think you get that kind of service at the big shops, though I really wouldn't know, I buy most/all of my stuff through the local shop. It's a great relationship that works great for me. Not broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used both and prefer tubless, I do agree you have to have quality strings, and yes you can risk peep rotation during the moment of truth. I notice it the most when I jump up in poundage. My bow are set at around 65 pounds in the offseason but early to midsummer I crank them up to 70 to get ready for the elk season. If I change out strings I like to do it late winter early spring so that way everything issettled by August. I have had a few problems with peep rotation when Ijump upto 70 pounds but its a easy fix with a bow press.I also do carry extra stings and a portable press with me into my archery camp. I have yet to havepeep rotationmess up a shot on big gameor any other live game for that matter. But if it did I am sure I would think twice about it and would want to use a tube.About 3 years ago I didhave a problemwith a brand new string during a 3-D shoot.I stopedhalfway through, wentback to club house/indoor rangeand asked to use their press. Ifixed the problem andfinished the shoot.I do allthe work on my own bow and I also work part timein a pro shop so I am not a green horn when it comes to working on archery equipment. That being said I do agree the average archer is better off suited being set up with a tube on the peep. It amazes me how many archers lack the know how to make the most simple repairs on thier bows.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor
I do agree the average archer is better off suited being set up with a tube on the peep. It amazes me how many archers lack the know how to make the most simple repairs on thier bows.
I agree, I think a lot of folks have no idea how to fix a peep rotation problem, at least with the tube you can continue to hunt. That being said, I strongly advise folks to set up their tubed peeps the same way they would if it were tubeless. When I set mine up I will get the peep to be perfectly aligned when I drawbefore I even attach the tubing. It's almost a back up if you will. If for some reason my peep decides to rotate even 1/8 of a turn, I know the tubing will align it and I can continue to hunt. I'll fix the problem at the earliest convenience but at least I can still hunt with confidence my peep will align.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree I too like to set them up as if I was using a tubeless peep. I have seen guysvisiting our shop range,at different 3-Dshoots and even in the field hunting with the peep twisted aroundfaceing backward. When they draw the bow the peepand the string is doing a 180. I believe that ithas to beputting some torque on the arrow nock and it has to bemaking the arrow fly out of tune to some degree. If in fact the arrow is in tune at all in the first place. A out of tune arrow can't penetrate worth beans, maybe thats why yousee several TV hunters shoot thier biggameand the arrow maybegoes in 1/3 to 1/2 of the way at best? lolWho knows it just might be true? lol[8D]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have previously used tubing on my peep, and this year tried a tubeless peep. I found out that sometimes the peep would twist and block my view. I am back to a tubed peep, and after one snaps you in the face you will check it every time.

Quick Reply: Peep Tubing........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.