Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 10 reasons why I only use one stand all year >

10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Default 10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

I use the Lone Wolf Alpha Hangon and a set of 6 Lone Wolf climbing sticks and it is theis the only way to go IMO. You can use whatever you want for steps and a stand, but one set of steps and your favorite hangon stand is all you need. Here is why:

1. It's Quick. My Lone Wolf sticks and stand go in and out with me each time I go to the woods. The Lone Wolf hangon and sticks go up quickly and quietly with a little practice. From thetime the stand leaves my back to the time I am sitting in my stand is approx 15 minutes.

2. My stuff can't get stolen. I read stolen stand and stepposts nonstop on AT and here; whether private property or not, it is going to happen.

3. Safety:My equipment isn't getting ruined by squirrels, the sun, and weather; by not being out in the elements when I am not there. By using my equipment daily and setting it up and taking it down each hunt, I am aware of any safety issues with it.

4. The deer can't patternme due to being lazy and overhunting a stand location too much. Too many guys get off work and go to the same stand or two day in and day out and wonder why they don't see deer. The deer are onto you.

5. It allowsme to fullylearn the land I am hunting better and the time of day etc. that deer move through certain areas of the land. By being a mobile hunter, I am always on the move and observing deer movements and their patterns.

6. Shooting lanes are unneccessary once the leaves are off IMO so I do no shooting lane pruning; this saves me work and stinking up the woods with human scent and unnatural trimmed branches that can alert a deer of hunter activity. For me there is no arguement of needing stands placed early for shooting lanes cut. I can always place my stand a little high, low, to the right or to the left of where I expect my shot to come from. There is always a way to make a tree work without a bunch of pruning. I carry a little set of pruners just for immediate branches that may cause drawing of my bow issues.

7. I am NEVER faced with hunting a stand location that the wind is not in my favor. I take my stand and place it where the wind is in my favor for the hunt; I don't have to settle for a so so unfavorable wind.

8. I can hunt any tree I want with my setup. The problem I found with my climber treestand experiences is that I hunted where the trees worked for my climbing treestand, instead of where I wanted to hunt. Climbers are too tree specific.

9. I am not out busting my butt lugging stands out in the fall and placing them and then lugging them all back in the winter or spring after season.

10. I don't have a bunch of stands that are not necessary and I can spend my saved $$ on beer.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

this is why i think cilmbing stads have are one of the best tools you can have if you hunt private or public land
Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Climbers are too tree specific. The tree has to have no lower limbs and be straight. Sure you can run a saw all day cutting limbs out of the way, but too much work and noise. My setup works on any tree.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you Hardcore, except substitue "Tree Saddle" for "Lone Wolf Alpha".

I love being mobile and not having to worry about stands being stolen or people hunting your stand when you're not there.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Im sure its great up north, with cooler temps, but try that approach in MS and you will be sweating like a dog each hunt... I speak from experience, I own the exact same setup you have...

I combat over hunting the same stand by having 15 lock ons and several climbers along with the lone wolf setup when needed.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didnt even hunt this year, you got nothing!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd just like to be a fly on the wall when people who hunt your setup do so with no one looking. I mean....I had the same setup and sold it after two setups for two specific reasons.

1. I couldn't figure out a way to set it up SAFELY without it taking FOREVER.

2. If I set it up safely.....I was DRENCHED in sweat.

I know there are guys who love this setup.....but I'd hazard a guess MOST aren't setting it up while being tied off the whole time.

I agree with everything you say about climbing. I climbed every sit this year (47 times) except one. Love it......but I love it in my Summit.

More power to ya, Don. Glad you love your LW.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd just like to be a fly on the wall when people who hunt your setup do so with no one looking. I mean....I had the same setup and sold it after two setups for two specific reasons.

1. I couldn't figure out a way to set it up SAFELY without it taking FOREVER.

2. If I set it up safely.....I was DRENCHED in sweat.

I know there are guys who love this setup.....but I'd hazard a guess MOST aren't setting it up while being tied off the whole time.

I agree with everything you say about climbing. I climbed every sit this year (47 times) except one. Love it......but I love it in my Summit.

More power to ya, Don. Glad you love your LW.
You answered your comment. Practice is everything. 2 setups was like trying to learn the guitar in 2 lessons; isn't happening. I have done this so many times it is a breeze to me. A typical year of hunting for me on stand is well over 90-100 daysin a tree. Believe me, you get good at it. I also am tied in at all times and safety is not an issue. Getting hurt isn't worth it to me.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM

You made me tired just reading all of the unnecessary work you do before each hunt. The only benefit I see to this is the theft. It seems that you are worried about being patterned by deer but aren't worried about the noise and trouble you go through each hunt. More power to you but i believe i'll stick to the multiple stand theory.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

3 Ladder stands for this Old guy, and one climber, Summit Viper. Some have to work and aren't self employed. get out at 5:00 pm.and rush to the woods. No time to set up. To each their own.

Quick Reply: 10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.