Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Careers

Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Careers

I was thinking about my future carrer and what I am going to go to college for. All I do is hunt, hunting is my life andall I want for acareer is something with hunting. I either want to be a guide or a professional hunter with my own hunting show on tv. How would someone go about getting started with either of these careers? What should I study in college?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Default RE: Hunting Careers

The best advice i could give you is to pick a career outside of hunting with high pay that will allow you to own land, go on hunting trips, etc...

Old 02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if I would want to do what I enjoy in my pass timefor a living because of the work side of it.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:38 PM

That is an awesome question. I am taking an entreprenuerial class and my current project is to start my own hypothetical business that I have a passion for so I chose a guide service/sporting goods company out west. The only problem is my lack of experience, lol.

I guess if I run into a huge sum of money in the future then I will invest in one, just hire some experienced guides while I run the show and then have them take me on an all expense paid hunt once a year, LOL.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM

Something that you can pay your bills with... Im not being negative, but many of us on here that have 15, 20, 25 + years of hunting have thought about the exact same thing you have, and then we came to our senses. Think about how hard it is to become a professional athelete, then think about how hard it is to promote and actually have a hunting show, if were that easy, lots more would be doing it. Im not saying to give up your dream, but when you get older and marry and have children it kind of puts life in a whole other perspective. I know you may watch a video and wonder how in the world does this guy get to do this??? Trust me, he knows someone in the business and he is actually probably not doing it for living full time.. Get your education first, something you can actually get a job with and then, go to hunting shows and ask these guys who do it for a living what there schedule is like and you may run for the hills... Just being honest with you, but good luck it is your life and dreams and noone can tell you what to do...
Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I don't know if I would want to do what I enjoy in my pass timefor a living because of the work side of it.
I agree
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are already too many hunting shows and most of them are crappy.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking at the outdoor industry for a future in 2009.
My wife & I will have a bills paid off & own our home. I am thinking hard about changing jobs & enjoying life.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with many of the comments. You’re probably better off taking up a career that will pay well and has the potential to be flexible during the hunting season so you can take plenty of time off to hunt!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

get a good paying job with lots of time off, I work on a ranch where i am allowed to hunt, if i want to take off an hour early and go hunting thats fine, or take off a day to go fishing it usually isn't a big deal, except when things get really busy, like calving season or when were haying, you have to sacrafice a little no matter what, but even when i'm at work im still in the outdoors, and not stuck in some office.
You have to work hard to play hard.

As for college you might try business management so you can run your own hunting/guiding service so you don't get in financial trouble, or filmography or whatever its called so you can producevideos. You might even look into taxodermy, that could be fun, or training hunting dogs or starting a kennel, or even raising game birds.

Quick Reply: Hunting Careers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.