Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Careers

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Careers

Be a firefighter. Some free time and a great pension.

I would argue that nobody enjoys the outdoors more than those who work very hard, and do not hunt that much.

Good luck, whatever you choose!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM

I am a "Professional Hunter" I guess. I own a lodge and run bowhunts for others...also I get "paid" to film my hunts and I am traveling to 2 other countries this year and several states to film hunts for a TV show.

"Paid" = almost nothing. It costs me way more to hunt than I actually get paid. In fact if I wasn't a sucsessful business owner I couldn't do any of it.

"Professional Hunters" are people who have LOTS of spare time and a good income or own thier own businesses (like me) and can afford to make thier hobby a business, thus creating alot of tax benifits but not much income...certinaly not enough to live on.

Now if you look at like people such as Bill Jordan or Will Primos, those guys make great money in hunting but they are businessmen first and get to enjoy hunting second.

That my advice, good luck

Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as going to college, pick something that you really want to do the rest of your life. That's a tall order to figure out @ a younger age, so take your time and remember knowledge is power.

I'll give you my 2cents...
I was fotunate to have worked for my Dad since I was 11 years old doing general machining. I liked making things and decided to continued into his trade as a plastic injection mold-maker / tool and die maker. As high school graduation approched, I watched my friends graduate, along with me, and go into the construction trade. They made big bucks compared too me, but living in NH means the seasons played a role in staying busy year round in that trade. This meant that my friends and I probably made the same amount of money per year, for the 1st several years. Until I had put my time into my trade and surpassed them.

So my decision to be a mold-maker was a lock for me, as I worked inside, with heat in the winter, and ac in the summer. The mold-maker's pay is decent and I always had a job no matter where I went. Having a good reputation was key, which I believe is part of my strict upbringing by my parents, along with the integrity that they have instilled into me. I also have good benefits, which the construction trade didn't have. Unfortunately in the 90's manufacturing had started to go overseas at a fast rate, so my trade seems to be a dieing one, like many others in this country.

My best friend passed away in 1993, my Pappy, @ 51 years old. I decided to start my own design and mold-making business in 1995 @ the age of 28. At this time I didn't know exactly how much the overseas manufacturing battle would bring. Of course Sept. 11 has created even more American devistation in manufacturing, not too discount any of the peoples souls that have been taken or their loved ones who have to suffer every day without them. I've done alright for myself, but I will not retire a rich man and I will have to work until I'm 70 or longer, like most Americans. I seem to save enough money to enjoy a few toys and hunts every 5 years or so. I sure wish I had a money tree to do more, but reponsibility seems to rear it's ugly head everytime I make a little extra money. I seem to ask myself 1 or 2 times a year, what else could I do for work and enjoy myself. Unfortunately, as every years passes it's harder to re-invent your work life. You get to a point where you will make more money than you can give up, to start completely over and climb the ladder of success.

It seems depressing but just remember...
Get a helmet and strap yourself in, because life is a roller coaster ride with lots of ups & downs. Period!
Enjoy each phase of your life and don't sweat the small stuff, it will just eat you alive. Now I didn't say not to care about anything, but you have to choose how you will spend your time and life's easier when your smiling. As Kung Fu said "Grass hopper - when you snatch the pebbles from my hand you will be ready to leave".
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

become a conservation officer, great $$$ and benefits, and excellent retirement and it comes early! If you are a bowhunter, you don't miss that much hunting time!