Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lonely Broadheads...... >

Lonely Broadheads......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lonely Broadheads......

Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lonely Broadheads......

I'll bet it's even less than 20%. I guarantee you there are those who own 30 that have never been used for their intended purpose.

I just got to thinking about this again.....after reading all of these BH threads. Wouldn't it be good to know .......when discussing a certain BH.....how many times the person discussing it had used that head???? How many times they'd used ANY head???

Do you even HUNT?......lol
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

21% 0ut of 100% is what Iam thinking...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well for me... I'm pretty cheap anymore (to many kids to spend like I used to on archery stuff)

So I bought a set of muzzy 4 blade for my compund many years ago I've killed deer with 2 if I remember right. the others got tore up practicing etc. Actually theymostly would just need blades.I'm thinking it was a 6 pack. but I realy don't remember that many BH's so maybe it was less.However, I have bought others before and after and most don't last to get shot at a deer. I have to guess the number is less than 15 maybe even 10 percent for me. I don't know how many I've used over the years. I actually wish I had writteneach kill down and all the info like some of you guys do.

So If I only get 10 % with how many deer Ikill I'd figure less for all BH's. Because there are a few people I knowthat have bought many and never used them.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy broadheads knowing they will never get a sniff of a deer. I buy them to test with and see how they fly with my bow and setup. I buy them to practice with and the practice ones (or blades)need to be replaced after a while.A largemajority of the broadheads will never even get loaded onto a deer arrow but that isn't why I have them. I have them so that I know that if they do get put on that arrow they will fly like they should and I can trust them. Next season on one set of arrows I will use the same 3 broadheads I used this season. On another set of arrows I will use 3 new ones (new type) if they test well enough for me to trust them.

As has been stated before, if the bow AND the arrow are tuned and tuned together, and the bowhunter practices enough to be extremely proficient at their hunting ranges, then IMO any decent, well made broadhead is sufficient to do the job.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that it would be down around 10%. I haven't kept too close of a count on how many I have bought over the years but every once in a while I find one somewhere and think "there is one that made it out of the package but not even on an arrow"
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM

A better survey............ how many broadheads see the inside of more than one deer? Reused after sharpening or blades replaced of course.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM

Among those curently in my possession, four got blood on them during big game season this year; and three from turkey season. One on a Canadian goose. So eight out of . . . . gosh I must have at least 50 broadheads around here . . . .

I just did a count. 64. Wow. They sure add up.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got quite a few that have never seen an animal. Mostly el cheapos that I got for free like Eastman Sabre Titaniums and Eastman Stillettos.

I've shot them into targets and they worked okay but I'm just reluctant to take them into the field.

I've also got a 2 Spitfires and some Rocket hammerheads that i've never killed anything with and I may never.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Well, up until a year ago I've only slayed my deer with bullets. And honestly, I sold my broad heads with the bow, so I don't have any. I did have a very good chance at taking a button buck within 10 yards of me last year, had him in my sights and everything, just opted to pass. Of course, I caught heck for it later and was told the next time if it was brown it was down or I would be walking home, from the other two experienced bow hunters that I was hunting with. The next day, I had a young spike about 50 to 60 yards away from me but couldn't call him in any further and he split. That was the same day I was grunting back and forth with some very loud grunts from somewhere in the distance but I think that I grunted too much and spooked him. So naw, I hardly feel like a bone head for the investment that I make because I still enjoy it.