Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle? >

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Again.....fairly new at this.....but IMO....a whitetail's ribs are NOT an obstacle to the modern compound bow/BH.

If this is true....was it at any time in recent history?

If it isn't true.....please expound.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

This is not any proof, just my opinion. I believe any hard object is an obstacle, but I also believe that most broadhead tipsare so designed that the broadhead will deflect around the rib. But in doing so willloseenergy quicker and penetration while encountering a rib or other bone.

My analysis(like you want it) is smaller head equals less resistance. Bigger head equals more cutting ability with more resistance. Pros and cons of both.

Another opinion..........I don't believe its the modern compound itself that makes so much of a difference. Today's broadheads overall are much better than what we had to choose from years ago. Today's heads for the most part feature thicker blades, many are stainless steel, just better heads overall. Wish I had all of these broadhead choices whenI started bowhunting although shooting fingers at 60# with a slow bow I got many passthoughs.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time ribs present any problem is on a sharp quartering away shot.
If the angle is to great and the shot is forward on the ribs instead of behind them the arrow will travel along the ribs without entering the chest cavity and exit out the front of the neck after traveling under the front shoulder blade.
I think this happens more than people realize, they think they made a great shot as the arrow will be covered in dark red blood and the deer will produce a decant blood trail for several hundred yards but no real harm has been inflicted. These deer do not bed down.And are never found.[:-]
Old 02-16-2008, 11:12 AM

While ribs are an obstacle of sorts, modern BH's out of compound bows can cut through them. I have seen this several times - including this past season where the buck I shot broadside had his ribs cut on both sides. This was with a Rage 2 blade.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just aim between the rib bones, these VA deer are skinny and malnourished. I have never encountered a problem getting passed them, but I would still consider them an obstacle, kinda like ahay bale hurdle, one that easily passed.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think most broadheads coming out of most compounds will cut through them.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the spinal column with ribs intact (long story) from the buck I shot this past fall. I just see the ribs (and this was a 200# deer on the hoof) as being NO OBSTACLE to today's equipment.....(if properly tuned).

All this talk about bone contact and Mechnicals, etc... ......I just don't know what to make of it. Why do we seem to discuss this so much? What bone are we talking about? And....if it's THE shoulder bone or the spine.....there's not a BH out there that going to go through there.

So...I'll ask one of my favorite questions.....What have we learned?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

As for shoulder bones I have shot through them several times.

I shoot 125 GR Thunderheads and I shoot a one pin sight with most shots being between 10-20 yards.These heads are indestructible & very deadly.

When a buck is this close I will not try to stop them,and I feel shooting forward is always better than shooting aft.

If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Never had a problem with a Thunderhead and shooting 64 pounds passing thru a adult deer.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
Jim....I'm learning

Quick Reply: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.