Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many years......... >

How many years.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many years.........

Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many years.........

I started bow hunting at 15 years old.
my first buck came about 4 seasons later
my first big one came 16 seasons later
The interesting part of this is that each of these milestones was reached only after I made the decision to strive for those goals.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im comming up on 6 years hunting and i have yet to see a mature buck in the PA woods.

I cant really say ive ever had a shot opportunity at a mature buck.

Sad to say but my area of PA dosent hold many Mature Bucks. BUT!!! at this point in my life brown is down, simply because im only 17 and havent killed that many deer i still get excited over shooting smaller bucks!! including my 8point i shot this year that scored 43 7/8 haha!!! You should have seen how excited i got over that i still laugh about it!!

Ryan.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i have been at it long enough i cant really give you an honest answer, guessing around 4 years before i had my first mature one in range, he was big and had half his rack snapped off, and was dogging a doe, i could not make a shot. all i can say is it was a long time before i put down a mature buck, I had zero guidence, there were not alot of deer back then, and i had no clue what the heck i was doing, Dad would not buy me camo or let me hunt out of trees. I have learned alot from tons of mistakes over the years, i actually think that is a good thing and carved me into who i am today as a hunter.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Well i have been at it long enough i cant really give you an honest answer, guessing around 4 years before i had my first mature one in range, he was big and had half his rack snapped off, and was dogging a doe, i could not make a shot. all i can say is it was a long time before i put down a mature buck, I had zero guidence, there were not alot of deer back then, and i had no clue what the heck i was doing, Dad would not buy me camo or let me hunt out of trees. I have learned alot from tons of mistakes over the years, i actually think that is a good thing and carved me into who i am today as a hunter.
Good post Dan. Respect!!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen and had 4.5 year old mature buck in range, with no shot, in the 3rd year of bow hunting and a couple years later. This past season was my 1st shot at a 4.5 year old mature buck, I missed! I hunted for so many years to take that shot, I blew it! [:'(]
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Recure shooter<<<<<< RESPECT back at ya
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Good post Dan. Respect!!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still waitin on all 3
Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many years did you bow hunt before you saw a mature buck from stand?

I don't honestly know. My first ever shot with a bow was at a huge to me at the time wide racked buck. I was 14. Was he truly mature....don'tknow. I saw a few other "big" bucks here and there, but back then I wasn't good at aging, and thinking back I just can't recall enough to givea true answer.

How many years did you bow hunt before you had a mature buck in bow range?

See above. And in around my 4th year I missed another maybe mature buck from a limb deflection.

How many years did you bowhunt before you shot and recoverd a mature buck?

18 years

I think an additional question should be how many years did you hunt and shoot the 1st buck that presented you with a shot?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many years did you bow hunt before you saw a mature buck from stand?

Itwas my first. I took a shot at him from 25 yds. He was working a scrape under a licking branch. My arrow hit the branch and cut it right off of the tree and it ended up in the scrape.

How many years did you bow hunt before you had a mature buck in bow range?

1st year-see above

How many years did you bowhunt before you shot and recoverd a mature buck?

I shot my 1st buck in my third year of bowhunting.(240lbs field dressed, 160" gross)After killing 2 does (1 each the first 2 years)

Just curious.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I think an additional question should be how many years did you hunt and shoot the 1st buck that presented you with a shot?
Not sure I understand that question.....but I probably passed on 6-10bucks (over 2 seasons)waiting on "the one" I thought would be a good "first buck". He was also my first deer.

Quick Reply: How many years.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.