HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many years......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/232119-how-many-years.html)

buckeye 02-12-2008 02:29 PM

How many years.........

How many years did you bow hunt before you saw a mature buck from stand?

It was my fifth season.

How many years did you bow hunt before you had a mature buck in bow range?

For me it was my sixth season.

How many years did you bowhunt before you shot and recoverd a mature buck?

This also was my sixth season.

Just curious.

Schultzy 02-12-2008 02:37 PM

RE: How many years.........

3 years

3 years

Too damn long, 21 years but its my own fault! This last year I finally connected on a nice buck, he scored 140 1/8 net P@Y. I've passed on right around 15 or so 120" to 130" knowing I've had bigger and better bucks in the woods through out the years and also wasn't 100% sure if they were going to make books so I'd give them the pass. It could of been sooner possibly but I was pretty picky and still am when I started doing this buck and doe managing stuff. It was well worth the wait though!!

MOhunter46 02-12-2008 02:40 PM

Seems like there is a curse on me when i go bow hunting. When i have a gun i can see bucks but not when i have a bow. So for me it hasn't happened yet[:o]

buckeye 02-12-2008 02:44 PM

To elaborate further... Thru those years I saw many 1.5's and a handful of 2.5's.... It just took a long time to finally catch up to the older age class bucks.... Once I saw one from stand I became even more obsessed..... From then on, I started running into them some what regularly. Odd how it works out...

I shot 2 small bucks the first couple years and then decided to shootnothing but a mature buck.... I learned a lot in those 4 buckless years :D
[/align]

GMMAT 02-12-2008 02:45 PM

Scott:

I think you and I both agree that 3.5 is "mature".

That being said.....

I was in my second season.....3 days into the season. I saw the second mature buck of the '06 season on Thanksgiving Day, that year.

Again......3 days into my second season.

December 9th of 2006......my second season.....1st full season.

Scott:

I often think about what the answer to these question would be if I'd started hunting deer with a bow as a young man. I have MANY luxuries that a lot of younger guys don't and didn't have (not necessarily monetarily). I'm quite certain beginning deer hunting at 40 has made things easier for me.

Another funny stat.....I've only seen 2. I killed them both.

huntingson 02-12-2008 02:45 PM

I don't know exactly, but I think it was probably about year 6 or 7 that I saw my first mature buck.

It was year 13 when I killed my first mature buck.

Of course, I didn't really take hunting that seriously when I was 7 so these numbers are rather skewed.

TEmbry 02-12-2008 02:45 PM

im going into my fourth season of bowhunting, but the first two I only wenta half dozen times and didnt take it seriously.

I have yet to see a mature buck from stand with a bow in my hand. Ive seenplenty whilescouting (bachelor groups)and rifle hunting, but never while on stand witha bow.

Hopefully this will all change in 08.[&:] Im still going to hold out for a respectable buck though. Ive gone for this long, no need to let up now.

GregH 02-12-2008 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

18 years. I started in 1967 with a recurve and any deer would do, even does.

18 years. First time I saw one it was in bow range and I missed. [:o]

24 years. The first year I dedicated myself to hunting for a mature buck, I shot one (180 class).
Just curious.

Double Creek 02-12-2008 02:54 PM

3-4

8........yes, I screwed the first 4 or so up!:D

waiting_for_a_gift 02-12-2008 03:03 PM

I saw the biggest buck of my life, from a stand, in bow range, about my third year of bowhunting. Didn't get a shot at him. He may have been booner. Since then, have only seen mature bucks from bow stand about 3 times, no shots. Sucks. Had 4 shots at one from a road one time, that sucked too.