Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody going away from trail cams? >

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody going away from trail cams?

I have bow hunted for about 5 years now. The 2nd year, I went out and got 2 35 mm cameras, and used them a ton, all year round. After a couple of years, I started using them less and less. I just bought a new Moultrie Gamespy D40 for Christmas, and have had it oit for about a week now. I plan on keeping it out there all year.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot a deer that I got on camera.
That really surprises me, Greg.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love my camera..Hell all you guys not using them send them to me. Perhaps the caveat is I really don't use them where I hunt. I put them on local farms and usually spend the bulk of my time on public land 1/2 hour away. NOT that I have any hang-up using or benefitting from the cams.

To me it's a past-time. It's hunting well before I can hunt with a weapon. It fuels me and gets me excited.

Why don't you guys use them to scout other new areas?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I love game cameras. I get a lot of pics of different animals, different times, interaction with other animals. Its not as fun as hunting but I get a lot of enjoyment just checking and viewing the pics. I've been hunting a very small bit of land and would highly recommend for small areas. I've never had one until last year and I really enjoyed it.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 AM

They are getting to be a pain in the butt to deal with, however, I enjoy them and I don't put them in the areas I hunt. I buy, develop, and sell hunting land, so having pictures helps with the sale...
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 AM

i just put my I40 out. I think it is going to be great. I dont see a click as being a big deal. If anything it should get the deer to stop and pose for their photo.

rick

Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I-40 rocks. Your gonna like it hairless.

Battery life has been 3 months or so (but we don't have really low temps), and it takes great pics.

One tip on those things to minimize disturbance. Since SD cards are cheap (got some on sale for $10),
I have 2 for each cam. Instead of hooking the cam to your laptop to transfer, or taking out the SD
and spending a lot of time there, or taking the SD home with you and then back, just swap out the SD
cards and get out of there.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone else ever tried mounting your cameras high and angling them down towards the trail. I have never really noticed a problem with spooking deer but I can't help but think they at least notice a disturbance. I am mounting some higher in the tree (10-12 feet) and angling them down, might not help but at least itisn't flashing them directly in the eye from 3 ft away, I know that would bother me on a dark night.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

I-40 rocks. Your gonna like it hairless.

Battery life has been 3 months or so (but we don't have really low temps), and it takes great pics.

One tip on those things to minimize disturbance. Since SD cards are cheap (got some on sale for $10),
I have 2 for each cam. Instead of hooking the cam to your laptop to transfer, or taking out the SD
and spending a lot of time there, or taking the SD home with you and then back, just swap out the SD
cards and get out of there.
I used to swap out cards but now I have the Cuddeback card reader and it's just about as fast plus I can look at the pics as I'm walking to the next camera.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Has anyone else ever tried mounting your cameras high and angling them down towards the trail. I have never really noticed a problem with spooking deer but I can't help but think they at least notice a disturbance. I am mounting some higher in the tree (10-12 feet) and angling them down, might not help but at least itisn't flashing them directly in the eye from 3 ft away, I know that would bother me on a dark night.
[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: GregH

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Germ, to answer your question about the Moultrie I40 yes it does take color daylight pics. I just got it this year, and I've been very happy with it.

Greg, if you ever jump back in here, I have a question for you. You have mentioned a number of times that deer, particularly mature bucks, will start skirting you camera within a short period of time regardless of whether it is IR or flash. I am assuming you know they are skirting them because you can see the tracks going around the camera. I would be interested to see what would happen in your area if you simply put a camera out, but left it off. If the deer start skirting it without it off we can rule out both the flash and the IR as what bothers the deer, as well as the noise. If they don't we can assume it is most likely the flash. It may seem to be a foolish experiment, but I know I'd eagerly anticipate the answer. What do you think?
[/blockquote]

1) I get 2 full months battery life on my Cudde's in the cold (-12) weather along with taking 30 sec video with each pic.

2) I know they are skirting the cameras by the tracks in the snow.

3) They really notice the camera when it's mounted to a real skinny tree (profiled). They are looking at it when their pic is taken in the daylight.

I'm going to try a couple of things.

1) Camo the camera.
2) Put the camera up high and angle it downward.
3) Last resort...... stop taking night time pics.

I really don't want to do #3, because during the time I have my cameras out, there are periods where almost all of the deer activity is night time. I experience this several times from end of Nov to end of March. I'd miss out on a lot of big bucks doing this.
[/blockquote]
Greg I do this and it works real well! I hang mine over a trail from a tree limb facing down. I try to put it like 10 feet off the ground. Great for catching tresspassers too.
From a different thread.

Quick Reply: Anybody going away from trail cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.