Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody going away from trail cams? >

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Anybody going away from trail cams?

It might be fun to go into the woods with no idea what may walk in front of you.....that being said, trail cams can be very effective tools for scounting and patterning deer

I think they are goods things to use...they shouldn't be checked TOO much, like someone said as you can in turn educate the deer...but I dont see anything wrong with putting one up so you can get an idea of what your going to be dealing with
Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use one! I like doing my own leg work, gets me in the woods! I enjoy the scouting part of hunting! To each his own!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I must not hunt, because I have really enjoyed seeing what is out there. It is just plain fun to hit those occassional pictures of big bruisers who are roaming through. Have the cameras changed the way I go about hunting? No. But they have made it more fun when I am going through a stretch of seeing nothing from the stand because I KNOW that there are a few good ones out there. Helps keep my motivation up I guess.

Stop being so dramtic To be honest there is a part of me, where using one just does not feel right. I cannot explain it, and soley my isssue.

1. I know it will make me better hunter, but...

2.It's my own mental instabilty that keeps me from using one. When I pull the bow back, I want to know I beat him on his terms. For some reason a game camera muddies that for me. Let me point out this is my own personel issue, to each his own. For some reason a camera crosses the line for me, and I don't know why. I have every gadget know to man[:@]
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my cameras. I will continue to use them!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey just asking.....

If I put my camera out3 months before the season opens....and take it down a couple weeks before the season begins......and leave it in one spot....hundreds of yards from whereI hunt (on a mineral site).....

HOW does this gain me an advantage (if indeed someone thinks it does)?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I must not hunt, because I have really enjoyed seeing what is out there. It is just plain fun to hit those occassional pictures of big bruisers who are roaming through. Have the cameras changed the way I go about hunting? No. But they have made it more fun when I am going through a stretch of seeing nothing from the stand because I KNOW that there are a few good ones out there. Helps keep my motivation up I guess.

Stop being so dramtic To be honest there is a part of me, where using one just does not feel right. I cannot explain it, and soley my isssue.

1. I know it will make me better hunter, but...

2.It's my own mental instabilty that keeps me from using one. When I pull the bow back, I want to know I beat him on his terms. For some reason a game camera muddies that for me. Let me point out this is my own personel issue, to each his own. For some reason a camera crosses the line for me, and I don't know why. I have every gadget know to man[:@]
I was purposefully being melodramatic b/c the idea that it isn't hunting if you have a camera somewhere seems a bit overboard to me.

How does a camera make you a better hunter? I must not be using them to their full potential because all they have done for me is give me some idea of how many and how big. I was able to identify some resident bucks to go after, but they just wouldn't fall into any kind of predictable pattern. I shot the buck I was after over 500 yards from the nearest camera at a greatseeking phase stand that we have used for well over a decade and I hadn't gotten him on camera for weeks prior to killing him. In fact, I thought he was dead.

This winter has been great b/c I am getting a good idea of what next year might be like seeing what survived the season.

I guess I can see where you are coming from, but not how you got there
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was purposefully being melodramatic b/c the idea that it isn't hunting if you have a camera somewhere seems a bit overboard to me.
How about I re-word what I said, A camera would make me more knowledgeable Hunter, which I thought would make me better, now I am mental on that, thanks

Being I am terrible right now, I should buy one
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

BTW

I have had a no flash cuddeback in my hands 3 times now, I just could not buy it. It's not the cash[8D] I could be talk into buying one.

This is where it bugs me. I rarley watch hunting shows, but I have caught a few lately. When I see "We're hunting this spot because we caught a big buck on camera" it bugs me, and I have no idea why[:@]

I have no ill will towards anyone who uses one, I think I am a moran for not[:-]
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

First year of serious cams (6 of em). Never going back.

There are a lot of reasons. Off the top of my head:

(1) great to inventory what deer you have on your property.

(2) cool to track deer movement (got 2 bucks on cams a mile apart).

(3) lets you know generally whether an area is a morning or afternoon area.

(4) You can rule out unproductive areas. We have one secluded food plot behind new CRP we
have been hunting unsuccessfully. Cams confirmed very low deer activity. Finally figured out
that even though the area "looks great," it is probably suffering for lack of great escape routes
(plot that is more open next to big woods getting torn up).

(5) It gets you pumped up to get out there and stay out there. I know I hunted harder
this year knowing we had some nice bucks on cam.

(6) Similar to (5). It gives you something to do when not hunting.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

First year of serious cams (6 of em). Never going back.

There are a lot of reasons. Off the top of my head:

(1) great to inventory what deer you have on your property.

(2) cool to track deer movement (got 2 bucks on cams a mile apart).

(3) lets you know generally whether an area is a morning or afternoon area.

(4) You can rule out unproductive areas. We have one secluded food plot behind new CRP we
have been hunting unsuccessfully. Cams confirmed very low deer activity. Finally figured out
that even though the area "looks great," it is probably suffering for lack of great escape routes
(plot that is more open next to big woods getting torn up).

(5) It gets you pumped up to get out there and stay out there. I know I hunted harder
this year knowing we had some nice bucks on cam.

(6) Similar to (5). It gives you something to do when not hunting.
See I need to think like you LB plus with my boat I could sneak around and they would never know[8D]

What is wrong with me

Quick Reply: Anybody going away from trail cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.