Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer pattern

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer pattern

during the off season the deer will come through my land regularly until a week before opening day then they disapear for a week or two . I swear they know when it is hunting season. they come back regularly but only at night. what could i do to change there pattern to come by during the day ?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Default RE: deer pattern

how many acres you got???

my advice to keep deer on your property they need the best habbitat around. great food sourcing, such as food plots, open grazing feilds, mature oak trees, agood water source thats close to the food source, and a bedding area where they can get out of the wind, harsh snow, and feel safe. if your property has all these, the only reason they are gone probably somethin spooked them.

if you artifically feed them you could change there eating pattern to just eat during the day. thats it. once they go noturnal especially those big bucks. the only way to kill them is at last light, or go stalkin and hope they are in a good sleep.

you can pattern deer, but you cant change there pattern. unless your artifically feeding.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed, keep them in food, and a place to hide, and you will have plenty of deer sticking around. Just make sure not to put too much pressure on, or you'll push them out.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

make them want to come and stay!!FOOD,FOOD,FOOD
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Three things. Food, water, and a place to hide. if you have those then i think you should be able to pattern them. Good luck
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess part of the problem is that my land is the transitional from food to bedding. it is a 5 acres surrounded by other larger wooded areas. across the way is 50 acres of woods and a cow field further down. over the other side is a 30 acre swamp they probaly hide out in . down in back there is more woods that follow a stream.
my land wood take to much to put in a food plot{ to much slope and rocks} I put out a camera so i can see when they come thru just can't seem to get them there when i want
Old 02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

I would try to make a sanctuary, a place where they feel secure. Not even you should invade it.