Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deer pattern questions >

deer pattern questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer pattern questions

Old 09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer pattern questions

ok. i have this one spot onpublic land. sat there on saturday, saw a doe and a fawn in morning, but no shots (too far away). i sat there yesterday morning, didnt see anything. i thought deer took the same path pretty much every day at the same time, unless something spooks them off that trail. if i didnt see any yesterday, does that mean i should try somewhere else b/c they prob. stopped using that trail? i dont want to continue to sit there if the deer arent coming thru ya know. maybe im looking to deep into it,but i would think if they came saturday morning, they would have came yesterday morning as well. there are alot of trails and paths and some poo in this little area, but i dont understand when they come to leave this sign. i hunted it saturday night and saw nothing, so i dont think its because its a night stand. any thoughts? or should i just hunt and not worry about planterns b/c deer on public land are too unpredictable...? thanks alot
Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer pattern questions

Wow, well if deer took the same trail everyday around the same time hunting would become to easy...but they'll tend to use an area consistantly until they decide to change due to hunting pressure, weather/change in feeding habits, etc...Just bc you saw deer there saturday and not sunday doesn't mean they quit using the area. I'd give it a few more times to hunt. There are many diff. factors that could have contributed to not seeing deer the next day. Don't give up on it yet.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM

thanks alot bud, good advice. i pretty much agree, i will give it another 2-3 tries before moving locations. maybe they did come thru but were just on the very outskirts of the small field, and i didnt see them. ill give it another try tomarrow and sat and then move on after that. i guess ur right about coming the same exact path each day, it would make it pretty easy lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

I believe that the time you have spent there, does not accurately equate to the deer movement. I would suggest sitting there a few more times, and make sure and record the time and movement, and place, and adjust accordingly. Perhaps, hang another stand instead of having to move one... If it is a hang on of course!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:29 PM

will do, its actually public land, so its a climber. but i will sit there and then move on. i just dont know why one day a sighting and the next none.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

like stealthhtr22 said dont expect to see deer at the same time and place everyday especially on public land. if you have a lot of sign anda good trail stick to it i have hunted 5 times this year and deer once sometimes you win and sometimes they win.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 PM

alright. so sometimes, on some days, you guys will see deer and then the next day or the next hunt will not see any deer at all on the trail/stand?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Myself, I don't hunt pubilc land, but what i do when i'm sitting in my stand is i time each deer i see then i take in acount what theweather was like that morn, then i watch the way the deer came in was it a cross wind or were they walking withe the wind to there backs or were they walking withe the wind to there face. And i take in to acount was it cold out or was it somewhat mid weather. I do this everytime i go out to see how they are moving. I hope this helps you and good luck hunting.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry forgot to say , I also do the same when i'm hunting in the evenings to .
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Deer are very spooky critters and anything could factor into them taking a differant path. It could be a coyote was in the area. they could have picked up scent from another hunter upwind of them or that had been there earlier, being it is public ground. They may have a specific places they go to at various times of the day, but they may have 20 differant paths they can take to get there. If you know the deer are in the timber you are hunting, just be patient and give it a little more time or adjust your setup to better ambush them.

Quick Reply: deer pattern questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.