HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My attempt at video editing.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/231377-my-attempt-video-editing.html)

Justin 02-08-2008 07:07 AM

My attempt at video editing....

Last night I got this great idea to edit some of our hunting footage together from this year and put it up on YouTube. It really seemed like a good idea at the time since my stupid satellite was out and I couldn't watch Lost [:@]but when midnight rolled around and I was just finishing up I thought to myself "What the hell am I doing?"

In any case, here's my attempt at putting together a 5 minute segment on one of our hunts from this fall. Mr. dukemichaels is our featured hunter and yours truly is behind the camera. Enjoy!

HTML Code:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aucGCHPYQm0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aucGCHPYQm0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rick James 02-08-2008 07:19 AM

RE: My attempt at video editing....

Very cool Justin. I've been looking forward to seeing some of this for a while now. What is going to happen with the rest of the footage you guys took this past season?

Germ 02-08-2008 07:22 AM

Duke I have to ask:

First nice Job, Second why did you "blahhh" when she was not moving?

Justin 02-08-2008 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Duke I have to ask:

First nice Job, Second why did you "blahhh" when she was not moving?
I asked him the same thing after he shot her and from what I remember I believe we're chalking that one up to nerves. Having that camera over your shoulder makes you do strange things.

Matt - I'm working on editing a few more clips together from the rest of our footage that I'll post links to when they're done. I've put together a few others already but each one I do gets a little better (in my mind anyways).

Also, some of our footage can be seen on WKP's new DVD "The Grind" which should be available for sale in the next week or so via their website.

MNpurple 02-08-2008 07:27 AM

Really nice job! The one thing I have always liked about the shows on TV is there is usually some very quiet background music (not Ted type of music) in the background and when thatgoes silentyou know the shot is coming, andI love seeing the actual shot and impact.

Germ 02-08-2008 07:28 AM

Thanks Justin I was just wondering. Great Job again.

I should have a copy of The Grind Tomorrow:D

npockat32 02-08-2008 07:31 AM

Cool Video and nice shot. Thanks for sharing Justin!

GR8atta2d 02-08-2008 07:33 AM

Great video..Nice job. Probably just my puter..but even turned all the way up I couldn't really make out the words.

Justin 02-08-2008 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Really nice job! The one thing I have always liked about the shows on TV is there is usually some very quiet background music (not Ted type of music) in the background and when thatgoes silentyou know the shot is coming, andI love seeing the actual shot and impact.
My next attempt will have some music in it for sure. I was looking around for some stock music to use last night and it just got too late. I'm not a huge fan of music during the actual hunting scenes myself, but during some sort of intro/montage it really ads another dimension and keeps you more enterained.

LostInWoods 02-08-2008 07:35 AM

Good job. Volume seemed a little low. What editing program were you using?

p.s. I agree with some music during slow time in video...maybe Yanni. lol

MichaelHunsucker 02-08-2008 07:36 AM

Justin,

Very nice buddy. I look forward to seeing some more of your videos.

Just a tip - in the future if your going to be videoing a lot, you might want to edit your videos as you get them. Otherwise you will end up pulling all your hair out at the end of the season sorting through all that raw footage! :D I did that a few years back and by the time i got done with it i didnt even want to look at the stuff! haha

Oh yeah..any idea why my subscriptions are not working. Im not getting any email alerts for PMs or thread responses. PM box isnt full either...any other suggestions?

Justin 02-08-2008 07:40 AM

The problem I had last night was that I had already ripped all my footage onto an external hard drive earlier this year, and then sent it down to Todd at WKP to use in his DVD. I don't have any of it back yet so I had to go through all my tapes, find the parts I wanted, re-rip them onto my computer, then edit. I think that was the worst part.

As for the audio, it seemed alright on my computer but maybe I just had my speakers cranked up all the way. I'll make sure it's a bit louder on the next version.

Mike, I honestly have no idea why your notifications wouldn't be coming through. I'm still getting all of mine okay. Maybe try unsubscribing and then resubscribing?

EDIT - I'm using Sony Vegas 7 to edit.

LostInWoods 02-08-2008 07:43 AM

Could have been my crappy speakers at work? Anyways, I love watching homemade movies more than ones on The Sportsman Channel for the most part. It just seems more real and natural...especially when they are pretty well done.

Greg / MO 02-08-2008 07:55 AM

andI love seeing the actual shot and impact.
Yep. And if the deer falls in sight -- SHOW IT!!!!!!!!!

My BIGGEST pet peeve with the direction videos are going in the industry. It's a hunting video, for crying out loud -- I want to see them fall!!!

If people don't want to see arrow impact and animals fall, don't buy a HUNTING video!

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-08-2008 08:33 AM

Very nice, enjoyed it very much. Makes me miss the season tho. Great shooting on both your doe but I too had to laugh that Mike tried to stop a stopped deer.[8D]

Great job guys, it's just so much more fun sharing the hunt and capturing it on video!

-DeerSlayer- 02-08-2008 09:48 AM

awesome clip, now if we can just get about 300 more does killed in Pike Co., we would be in good shape.

Geronimo 02-08-2008 10:09 AM

Very professional.....keep up the filming because it can only get better and better!!!!

MichaelHunsucker 02-08-2008 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

so I had to go through all my tapes, find the parts I wanted, re-rip them onto my computer, then edit.

Ouch...i feel your pain! hahaha! You still did a good job!

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Mike, I honestly have no idea why your notifications wouldn't be coming through. I'm still getting all of mine okay. Maybe try unsubscribing and then resubscribing?

Ill give that a shot, its driving me crazy! [&:]

dukemichaels 02-08-2008 10:51 AM

Man I look like a dork. It was like 80 degrees that day!

Yes... already... I know.. I know... I did try and stop an already stopped deer. Instinct I guess.. I'm not really sure why I did it. She didn't hear it anyway.[&:]

That was my first kill on video.. and a LOT of fun. Everyone should try it.. especially when you got your good pal in the tree with you.

wis_bow_huntr 02-08-2008 10:55 AM

Most excellent job. You made a good shot and didnt go far. I did laugh when you blahed at her though. Great video 2 big thumbs up here.

Rhody Hunter 02-08-2008 11:02 AM

great job . the volume was a little low but i too like seeing the impact of the shot . i like to see exactly where it was hit and the fall if in sight.
Also i didn't see him wearing a fall harness on the way into the tree or after the shot ? You really should wear one , you never know what might happen

dukemichaels 02-08-2008 11:07 AM

Also i didn't see him wearing a fall harness on the way into the tree or after the shot ? You really should wear one , you never know what might happen
I can assure you that I was wearing a harness. I do not ever hunt without it on. It's actually under my predator shirt.. It was very warm that day.. so both Justin and I wore a t-shirt on the way to the stand site's.

However I don't wear one while climbing into my stand or climbing down from one.

Greg / MO 02-08-2008 01:09 PM

Finally had a chance to watch the video... great job, guys!

HNI_Christine 02-08-2008 01:25 PM

Nice video.Nice shot Mike.
I like the meep at the standing deer.;) (it's not as lame as me asking if I should shoot at the quartering towards me doe, I have no idea why I said that because I had no intention of shooting.)

K12 'meeped' at a walking buck on the Technohunt screen. What's really funny about that --- is that it stopped.

When we going to see your buck Justin?

ILbowhunter88 02-08-2008 01:51 PM

what kind of video equipment do you guys use? it looks awsome great work

bigtim6656 02-08-2008 01:51 PM

nice job dream season material

buckeyehntr5 02-08-2008 02:21 PM

Awesome job... Watching footage like this inspires me to go out and get a camera and start filming. Hmmm, tax return = new camera? Maybe;)Great job!

KansasBBD 02-08-2008 02:22 PM

ha you sounded like a dieing cow playing the tuba when you stopped at doe:D

KansasBBD 02-08-2008 02:22 PM

Oh and very nice editing and video. 2 thumbs way up!

Rhody Hunter 02-08-2008 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I can assure you that I was wearing a harness. I do not ever hunt without it on. It's actually under my predator shirt.. It was very warm that day.. so both Justin and I wore a t-shirt on the way to the stand site's.

However I don't wear one while climbing into my stand or climbing down from one.
glad to see you are wearing one ,you never know when you may slip and fall or something brakes
congrats on the deer . nice shooting

Deleted User 02-08-2008 05:10 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

iamyourhuckleberry 02-08-2008 08:02 PM

Justin,

Awesome job! I wish I wasn't all thumbs when it comes to stuff like that! Thanks for sharing!

Armybowhunter28 02-08-2008 08:08 PM

Thats a cool video man, I am hopeing to film my hunts next year.

jmbuckhunter 02-08-2008 09:20 PM

One of these days I am gonna start videoing my hunts too, one of these days. That's really cool.

Rickmur 02-09-2008 04:36 AM

Cool beans. I didn't read all 4 pages so I apoligize if it has been asked. Why do you all wisper after the shot? Seems all video's are like that. The animal is down, all the comotion is over so why wisper?

Germ 02-09-2008 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Cool beans. I didn't read all 4 pages so I apoligize if it has been asked. Why do you all wisper after the shot? Seems all video's are like that. The animal is down, all the comotion is over so why wisper?
Respect for the dead:D

Sad thing Rick is after I shoot one and I see it go down, I call Dad to come get me. What do I do? Whisper on the phone[&:]

MichaelHunsucker 02-09-2008 06:08 AM

Sad thing Rick is after I shoot one and I see it go down, I call Dad to come get me. What do I do? Whisper on the phone[&:]
I dont know what it is but i sometimes whisper too...sometimes i do it intentionally (not to spook other game) and sometimes i do it and dotn know why. Then theres times when i alert every animal in the woods with my celebration! haha

Hunter Dan7 02-09-2008 06:10 AM

Good job Nice video

MECHDOC 02-09-2008 11:02 AM

Justin cool video and great shot.Editing is usually the hardest part the creativity comes in time.If you ever needa non professionalto man a camera for you shoot me a email.I live close to you in Streamwood.

TEmbry 02-09-2008 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I dont know what it is but i sometimes whisper too...sometimes i do it intentionally (not to spook other game) and sometimes i do it and dotn know why. Then theres times when i alert every animal in the woods with my celebration! haha
Yea but few get as many opportunities for post kill celebrations as you.[8D]