Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More Sheds (3-8 update--page 4) >

More Sheds (3-8 update--page 4)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More Sheds (3-8 update--page 4)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Default More Sheds (3-8 update--page 4)

Instead of making ya'll download the few other sheds I have found this season, I thought this might work better.

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2600881&mpage=1&key=�

The below is the result my wife is due with our 2nd child any day, and the dog is driving her nuts, along with a 35 degree day, why not kill 2 birds with one stone and drag the dog out the woods and walk around, burning off his energy and getting out before it drops down to single digits again (as forcasted this weekend)

After another 4-5" of snow yesterday, I wasn't to optimistic but it hadn't dropped below freezing so maybe the snow would melt/settle.

Ten minutes into the walk and I see ahead of me on the trail.....

Definitely the nicest I have stumbled across this year so far.....

Better get in what I can before the new addition to the family shows up.....just like how you can't shoot deer sitting on the couch, you can't find sheds there either

UPDATE:

2-13-07

Found them about 100 yards apart

2-16-08

Got out this one the morning before the big storm (got about 10" on saturday, then another 5" on Sunday)
Snow is getting a bit deep out in the woods [:@]

2-23-08

Found three on Saturday, unfortunately I didn't find any of these, my dad did, figured I would let him look in the 'better' spots, besides they are the spots it is easier to walk to, the snow is up to about mid thigh if you step off the trails....

This one was a heck of a find, he basically stepped on it

2-24-08

Today we brought a tractor with to break some trails to the back end of the property. Without this little bit of help, I don't think we would be getting back there for sometime. Even with a broken trail to follow it was pretty tiring getting back there (about a mile from where we parked) Heard the other day we are sitting at about 60"+ of snow this year, fourth highest on record...

I also believe that by breaking trails it will make it a bit easier for the deer until the snow starts to drop.
The amount of deer tracks in the older trails we have made backs up this idea.

(no the dog doesn't find the sheds, but it sure does tire him out )

If the bucks stay in the area, it is shaping up to be a real promising upcoming season.....

We also are still seeing bucks in the area with both antlers running around.......I can not wait till July to start filming these bad boys.....

Well, got another 3-4" of snow yesterday, so, must be a good time to get out in the woods looking for sheds

First shot is of the dog and a trail we cut last week with the tractor, I can't wait for it to get warm out and maybe uncover some of them buried antlers..... (he is a bit over 100 pounds and still won't find sheds for me [])

First (and hopefully the last) dead buck of the year, I have been through this area seven times this year, and he had a little bit of snow on him, his neck was still pretty flexible, odds are he passed in the night, (temperature when we took this was a around 20 degrees, should have been pretty stiff if it had been there longer)

They aren't to hard to find when they look like this

This one, if you look carefully to the right, you can see my boot print, yes, I stepped on this one, sometimes you just get lucky

Pretty good day, 4 sheds, in 3ish hours little over 5 miles walked for the day (got a pedometer to keep track of those sort of things)

So, for those of you keeping track, that is 21 sheds for the year, thinking one of them was from last year, 3 matched sets, so there are at least 14 other singles out there.......can't wait for the snow to melt......
Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Default RE: More Sheds

Nice find! I should have went out today. Most of the snow had melted and it would have been a great time since another snow storm is heading my way.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

you find those in wisconsin? i have seen full racked bucks still. didnt think they were droping yet.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM

15 minutes outside of city of Waupaca, Waupaca County

Last two times out bowhunting, I saw 2 one horned 2 years olds and 5-6 one horned yearlings, (that would be January 4th and 5th)

Been staying out of the woods hoping that a couple of the bucks I had been seeing would stay where I had seen them and drop their antlers in that area, the antlers could be there, but there is sooooooo much snow,

3 of the 4 antlers I have found this year have had blood on the bases......so I am optimistic that there is more buried under the snow.....

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Wi buckstomper,
I founda nice shed alsothis past sunday in the Eau Claire area, looked to be a very recent shed. There's pics in a post from a few days ago in the deer hunting forum.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice find, I need to get out this week, I have a great job but work SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM

Went out Wednesday after work and found nada, but tonite, after slogging through the snow about 3/4 of a mile back, I was standing there catching my breath, I look down at my feet and low and behold

I was then panning around with the camera to make a visual record of where I found the shed, so I can come back when all the snow is gone and I see this on the trail about 50 yards away.....

I think they might be a matched set......nothing real big, but that really isn't the point, that is just a bonus ......

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice finds!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

sweet! next weekend i should be able to set out on my shed hunt, but these past 3 weekends ive had college visits so i havent made it to my land..i think i might just take the 45 minute drive to check my trail cameras tomorrow..its been 2 weeks!!! ahh ive never gone longer than 6 days and its killing me!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 PM

I walked today for a couple hours and came home empty handed, to top it off as I was walking back I saw 4-5 does and a nice 8 pt, figures...

Quick Reply: More Sheds (3-8 update--page 4)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.