Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting dangerous game! >

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59
I completely understand the difference between the two, but I've seen on the big game forum the many posters that get lamblasted for using a 270 for elk. The 270 has probably killed more elk than any other firearm. You change weapons and shoot a grizzly with a broadhead and no one says a thing about it! I know the bear will die with a well placed shot but if not for the PH, maybe not quick enough to save the shooter! There are definately people on here that can and have killed dangerous game with a bow and the only problem I have is the presence of a PH to back them up. If there is a need for a backup, doesn't it smell of being a little "under-gunned"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm shakin' in my boots at the sight of a big buck or a huge bull elk coming in. It just looks a little silly on tv when, after the arrow is released, it takes sometimes several shots to bring down the attacking beast!
You're missing the boat on this one. The back-up rifle is there whether it be a rifle hunt (.223 or .460 Wby) or a bowhunt and it isn't there as part of the hunt. It has nothing to do with how lethal or effective the weapon is perceived to be. In Africa it's there as part of the law in many cases. As Tembry has pointed out, being without it is similar to driving without a seatbelt. The seatbelt doesn't change the way you drive just like the back-up rifle doesn't change the way you bowhunt. It just mitigates some of the possible outcomes of getting behind the wheel.

I personally don't hunt brown bears with a backup because it's one more person to be heard, seen and smelled and I'm more afraid of the nervous guy behind me with a rifle than I am about the bear in front of my arrow. It's a risky endeavor; you weigh the risks and decide whether to endeavor. If I had a wife and kids waiting for me at home I might play it differently...
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

For thosewho think you should not have a PH hunter or multiple PHbacking you up on a dangerous game hunt..............Hunting a lion without multiple back-ups is like suicide and suicide is not hunting. Step in there and be the first self guided bow hunter for a lion if you think its so sportsman like and not bowhunting....... Thats what I thought you won't, so don't come in making comments about this and that not being bow hunting. Its hunting and a thrill to the hunter, not a death wish. WCL
Old 02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well said Kodiakarcher. It is a "risky endeavor" and should be treated as one. If you dont have the testicular fortitude AND the know how, maybe it's not the endeavor for you. Maybe it shouldn't be attempted at all. There are a lot of "expert" hunters out there undertaking "expeditions" under the guise of the hunt for dangerous game. With multiple back ups behind you, lets call it what it is. "A man's got to know his limitations." And I know mine.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There were 4 PHs with my dad when he arrowed his african lion last year in S.A.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Well said Kodiakarcher. It is a "risky endeavor" and should be treated as one. If you dont have the testicular fortitude AND the know how, maybe it's not the endeavor for you. Maybe it shouldn't be attempted at all. There are a lot of "expert" hunters out there undertaking "expeditions" under the guise of the hunt for dangerous game. With multiple back ups behind you, lets call it what it is. "A man's got to know his limitations." And I know mine.
Would it still be bowhunting if those guides were all there with bows at the ready to take down the animal?

So is it different for a rifle hunter? Is it still considered rifle hunting?

How is it out of his limitations to lion hunt simply because he isnt stupid enough to do it alone?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

There were 4 PHs with my dad when he arrowed his african lion last year in S.A.
I bet it didn't take away from the excitement either! Congrats to your dad!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Just stating my opinion. If the guides all had bows, it would definitely be more dangerous. Too dangerous for said hunter? I guess that's a personal question the hunter would have to ask himself. At what point does the safety mechanisms or limits put in place overtake the very reason for being there? Another very personal question. I could probably drive the parkway at a very high rate of speed at rush hour to the nearest cabelas, look at a cape buffalo mount and get a pretty good thrill and probably be in more danger than most hunts that guys are out there kidding themselves about. Plus I'd get to sleep in my own bed, and be thousands richer.
Again, JMO. To each his own though.
ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Would it still be bowhunting if those guides were all there with bows at the ready to take down the animal?

So is it different for a rifle hunter? Is it still considered rifle hunting?

How is it out of his limitations to lion hunt simply because he isnt stupid enough to do it alone?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

I think the fact that there is a backup rifle for safety doesn't take away from the accomplishment of the bow hunter. That being said if a bow hunter makes a poor shot and superficially wounds the animal, and that animal comes looking for revenge and the PH(s) kill it with heavy rifles, does that count as a bow kill for the hunter? For that matter what if the hunter is using a dangerous game rifle and superficially wounds the animal and the PH(s) kills it? I think that as a policy they would consider that the clients animal, but how would you feel as the hunter? I mean all they really did was screw the hunt up, and now they have this trophy that is really just a reminder of how they screwed up, not really something to be proud of. I guess it would really just be a reminder of how close they came to dying...haha just some things to think about
Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only problem I have is the presence of a PH to back them up. If there is a need for a backup, doesn't it smell of being a little "under-gunned"?
[quote]ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

So what if a firearm hunter with a 375 H&H caliber or 600 Nitro rifle also has a guide also carrying a heavy mag. rifle (which they are on most any of the shows I have watched when they are hunting dangerous game) - does that mean they shoudn't be hunting?

In my opinion, I think a person could make the argument that carrying a secondary weapon when hunting dangerous game is more ethical and responsible...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I think the fact that there is a backup rifle for safety doesn't take away from the accomplishment of the bow hunter. That being said if a bow hunter makes a poor shot and superficially wounds the animal, and that animal comes looking for revenge and the PH(s) kill it with heavy rifles, does that count as a bow kill for the hunter? For that matter what if the hunter is using a dangerous game rifle and superficially wounds the animal and the PH(s) kills it? I think that as a policy they would consider that the clients animal, but how would you feel as the hunter? I mean all they really did was screw the hunt up, and now they have this trophy that is really just a reminder of how they screwed up, not really something to be proud of. I guess it would really just be a reminder of how close they came to dying...haha just some things to think about
I think most guys would sacrifice not making P&Y or SCI tokeep themselves frombecoming an animals lunch.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.