Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting dangerous game! >

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

I'm not speaking from personal experience here: but a lion is not supposed to be any tougher anatomically than a bull elk. I'll bet you would get a pass through on a rib shot with a standard archery elk setup. It's what might happen to you in the first three seconds after the shot that would cause one to lose sleep . . . . If you survived that, then just follow the blood trail
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

My dad went to Africa in 1970 with his Ben Pearson recurve. It's all on video and I don't recall seeing anyone with a back up gun. He shot lots of stuff on his trip. And the Cape Buffalo charged them many times. Quite the rush to watch.

Darrall
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Now then.....I'm impressed. No takers? I think THAT would be way up there on the ethics scale. You know.....when the food chains are on a more even keel.
Well said Jeff! I think if you want to "bowhunt" deadly game that's fine. But if things don't go quite right, you should be ready for the out come. I think if you want to play that game, be a real man and leave the guns out of it. After all, it's supposed to be bowhuntingright?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my opinion on it to make it short and sweet is.... I plan on killing a moose, brown bear, and then a cape buffalo with the bow. Then possibly doin the same thing again with a long bow minus the cape buffalo. My othergoal is to shoot a big horn, dall, and stone sheep with the bow as well. Rifles just don't do it for me personally except for the whole saving your life from a dangerous game, haha. WCL
Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

There's a PH with a backup gun behind the hunter who's using a high power rifle on those critters too.

Uhhh, what Christine said! A Bow and arrow is ALOT more lethal than a small caliber .222 on large game. Rifle hunters toting a .357 Mag still have the back up guns. Those back up guns aren't there because your weapon wont kill the animal. They are there in case you goof up, make a bad shot, and the animal attacks.

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Now then.....I'm impressed. No takers? I think THAT would be way up there on the ethics scale. You know.....when the food chains are on a more even keel.
[/blockquote]

Well said Jeff! I think if you want to "bowhunt" deadly game that's fine. But if things don't go quite right, you should be ready for the out come. I think if you want to play that game, be a real man and leave the guns out of it. After all, it's supposed to be bowhuntingright?

That isa unique position. Unimpressed by a guy takinga lion by stick and string simply because his guide has a rifle to protect everyones life? lol

Next time you bowhunters are in a treestand, do it without a safety harness if you want to impress me.

Nascar drivers should win a race without all the helmets and seat belts if they want to be impressive.

Safety Precautions are taken for a reason in all aspects of hunting.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Using a saftyharness doesn't changethe complexion of the hunt. Ifyou have a gun with you on a hunt, you're not bowhunting the way I see it. That's all.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM

I see where youre coming from, but the rifle isnt for hunting. it is for saving your hind end, just as a safety harness would.

Someone should try knifing a lion. A spear would be acceptable too.[8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Whats the point anyway? I am definitely being hipocritical but it is my opinion right? If you're gonna go out and hunt some horrible beast with your bow and want to call it hunting, carry your own sidearm and back yourself up. Its excitement you're looking for anyway isn't it? Oh, not having a back up guy with a cannon is just a wee bit TOO exciting and dangerous for you? Now, when you shoot that big scary animal with that arrow, and it makes a move towards you and the hired gun takes it down, you're still going to want credit for the kill? Like I said I dont get it, we kill them because we can, if thats a valid excuse, but really, why, if it has no consequence.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.