Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to archery... opinion? >

New to archery... opinion?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to archery... opinion?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Default New to archery... opinion?

Hi, a little intro...
I'm Jenna... 21 y/ofrom Pittsburgh, PA
I've been hunting since I was 12. ThoughI just got my 1st bow. I've never done archery yet but everyone up at my camp does and my father just started this past year. I wanted to start myself.

Hoyt Kobalt, 25 1/2'' draw, 40-50lbs...
the bow itself is already set up..

Wanted to know what people thought was best for arrow heads, broadheads? expanding blades? 2,3,4 blades? what ever eles have you...

Opinions would be fantastic that you =]
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Default RE: New to archery... opinion?

Sounds like you already have a great bow. Have you been to a good pro shop and gotten it all tuned and adjusted for your individual shooting style? For broadheads, I would probably stay away from expandables with the lower draw weight. Go for a proven fixed head like the Slick Trick, G5 Montec, or the Muzzy MX3.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mechanical-meaning expanding on impact, i use the Rage 2-blade 100grn.

Fixed-meaning blades are in a fixed position- i use G5 Strikers 100grn.

Welcome to archery and HNI!! They are both addictive.

Roskoe makes a good point about staying away from mechanicals at your low poundage, Fixed blades will give your more penetration anyway.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jenna, welcome to archery, welcome to HNI. You've picked a great place to learn.

Your a little light in the bow dept to really recommend a mechanical. I'm curious if you know your arrow weight and speed?

There are some fantastic fixed blade heads that will work great for you. The G5 Striker, Muzzy MX's and standard Muzzy's, Wasp SST, Innerlocs etc... many great heads, just keep them razor sharp.

Practice and become the most efficient archery you can be and remember to have fun.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all being your shooting in the 40 to 50 lb popund range I'd go with a Cut On Contact 2 blade broadhead. Magnus makes some excellent broadheads, I'd check them out if I was you. Good to see another lady getting involved in Bow hunting!! Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I figured with the short draw length and light weight (heh what can i say im only 5'1'') that a broadhead with cut on contact would be best... so i could put all the force behind it instead of take some (even if it is just a wee bit) out with the force needed for the blades to expand on contact.

Please be patient with me haha, for I'm not fully aware of all terms yet.

As for weight of arrows I'm not certain. I know thet are Carbon Express. and that my practice tips are 75 grain. And i was told to stay around there to keep the speed up.

I got it at Nelson's Arrows, by my place. I do believe Dotty Nelson is my new idol. Its all tuned and set up for my hieght weight and strength. Shoots like a dream already.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your set, you just gotta practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Most broadheads are 100 grains. Depending on the spine of your arrows, you might be able to run a tip 25 grains heavier. I wouldn't go with too light of an overall arrow weight, though. For deer, stay in the 350 to 400 grain range. For bigger stuff, 400 to 450. You need the penetration and, at the lower poundage, you are going to have to sacrifice some trajectory to get it.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Roskoe, good advice but if she must stay with a 75 grain tip, doesn't Muzzy make one in 75 grains?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 PM

100 grain Rage 2 blade, I kid you NOT.....

Quick Reply: New to archery... opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.