Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Glue and Inserts?? >

Glue and Inserts??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Glue and Inserts??

Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Glue and Inserts??

My inserts keep pulling out when I shoot the broad heads into the target. What is the best glue or epoxy to use too keep them in??
Old 02-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Glue and Inserts??

After your shafts have been cut, are you cleaning out the inside of the shaft extremely well? Carbon dust is the worst enemy when it comes to a secure bond between an insert and the shaft!

For inserts, I use a CX insert glue. I think it is called CX Express Bond, it works well and holds strong.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call this dumb but I have used regular old "super glue" over the years and have never had any problems. Plus the glue is el cheapo.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use fletch glue (heard the same about super glue)but have come to realize that it will crystallize with time and, due to the pounding of hitting the target a lot, will eventually break its bond with the shaft. I have prepped the inside of the shaft by using a brush (for cleaning .22 rifles) and then cleaning it with denatured alcohol. Didn't help.

Once I went to using epoxy I have not had any trouble. I just get the epoxy in the "double syringe" setup but I do not get the fast setting epoxy (5 minutes) because I do not want to be rushed in working with the inserts. I get the 5 hour (set time) epoxy and use that. I let the arrows sit overnight anyway so I don't really need afast set time.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM

With the two part epoxies, the slower they dry the better. There is an industrial grade one sold by Brownell's for gunsmithing called AcraWeld that works real well for inserts.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are your arrows? Many here are assuming carbon and giving some excellent advice.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Carbon arrows, I think I just needed to wait over night for them to dry, I'll shoot it today and see what happens!! Thanks guys!!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Clean the inside of your shafts very well, to start. Use a rifle bore brush to scratch up the surface, then clean again.

Do NOT use fletch glue. 24hour expoy is the best. Also, larger inserts are the way to go, they offer more surface area which gives better adhesion.

My inserts used to pop out of my arrow. I would shoot at my 3-D, the arrow would burry in the vitals, when the tip of the arrow exited the other sid eof the target, the insert would fly out. I did the above metioned and never had a problem again.
Excellent Advice! I always used the 24 hour epoxy but I pretty much use the Easton HIT Epoxy on all my carbons now. I really think it is even better

Dan
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Don't use the Martin glue....there are several that work well I use either the apoxy that comes with the arrows or I use the Easton Quick Bond.