Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many actually pick a spot? >

How many actually pick a spot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

I guess, but some have mentioned finding a tuff of hair or a dark spot on the deer to aim at when describing "picking a spot".
I'll only do that if it's the right spot.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Every animal I shoot, I pick a spot. Usually a grove in the muscle or a tuft of hair.Slinging arrows at an area is a horrible habit to get into. I pick my spot on the deer after planning the arrow passage through the animal. I pick the spot on the enterance that will insure the exit is where I want it. Everyone needs to pick a spot after calculating the path the arrow will travel through the animal. If not, you are going to have some bad shots that you will get to enjoy by tracking all day.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Slinging arrows at an area is a horrible habit to get into.
Who does this????

Tell me Burnie....if your pin is oriented on the deer ....in a place that you want your arrow to enter.......

Have you not picked a spot?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who does this????
From what I've seen and heard plenty of people. This site does not represent the hunting community as a whole, you know I mean?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Slinging arrows at an area is a horrible habit to get into.
Who does this????

Tell me Burnie....if your pin is oriented on the deer ....in a place that you want your arrow to enter.......

Have you not picked a spot?
Lots do. When im helping someone out that is new to bow hunting, I tell them, pick a spot on the deer. When they come to me and ask why they made a bad shoot, the first thing I ask is, what did you aim at. If they cant tell me, I know right away they picked and area and not a spot on the deer. Once they slow down and pick a spot, they start killing. There is a big difference in an area and a spot. You shoot at a target, you pick a spot, ten ring. If you just put your pin on the target and let an arrow fly, you wont hit the ten ring. Same as a deer, you can put a pin on an area and might hit lung, might hit heart, you might hit the gut, you might hit liver, etc. etc. Id say picking an area is the worst habbit you can get into. Like I said, you have to imagine the path through the deer according to your angle, pick a spot on the deer that will allow that arrow to make the path you imagined and exit where you want.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Very well put, Burnie.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who does this????
Bill Miss Alot 123 Badhit lane. Can'tfindmydeer NY.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Who does this????
Bill Miss Alot 123 Badhit lane. Can'tfindmydeer NY.
Your bad Charlie.

Pick a spot guys, your luck will run out if your just aiming in a general area. Its hard to do when all you see is brown but it makes you focus, slow down a bit, and you will watch you game fall in sight.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pic a spot when he's on the way in but that goes to Sh#$ when he finally gets to the point I'm ready to pull the trigger and let the arrow fly, more or less aim in the zone and hope forhte double lung dance
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

On a broadside animal I aim at the crease behind the shoulder about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

If it is quartering away I try to visualize where this spot would be on the other side of theanimal and aim accordingly.

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.