Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mineral Lick Question >

Mineral Lick Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mineral Lick Question

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mineral Lick Question

Ok question, I have never really looked into mineral licks and such since I never had my own property to put one out on. Well I finally have access to a little piece of land and wanted to start a mineral site. My first question is, what time of year is the best to start one? I live near the Maryland/PA border if that matters as far as seasons go. I read the mineral licks are beneficial in the spring but does that mean I start one in February even though the ground is still pretty much frozen? My second questions is, I've read in the past before I had any interest in mineral licks, that homemade licks were just as good, if not better, than the commercial licks you can buy such as Deer Caine. What does everyone suggest? Are there any commercial products you recommend or does anyone have any home recipes they are willing to share? I have access to a feed store a few miles away so I'm sure they'd have everything I'd need. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mineral Lick Question

There are several listed in this forum.
www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2597581
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, lot of good info with that link. Here's another question, I'll probably go with the 50% mineral salt, 50% Di-Calcium Phosphate mixture. Can you put too much down on the ground and actually keep deer away? I remember reading on Deer Caine not to refresh the site more than once every 60-90 days or else the minerals in the soil will be too strong and it may take some time for the deer to come back. The one person posted a 1' deep hole by 3' wide, would I just fill that whole thing up? Thanks again, i'm really ignorant when it comes to this stuff
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

We all gotta learn from somewhere....

The recipe I picked up at a show uses a 1-2-1 ratio with the trace mineral being the 2. 1ft x 3ft is a good guide to follow. We mix a large batch for approx 6 locations using a small coffee can to measure. After digging the hole,layer the mixture with the dirt from the hole 2-3 times using enough of the minerals to give the ground a good dusting on each layer.You can speed up the leaching process by adding water once you've filled in the hole.

3-4 months is about right for refreshing the sites as well.