Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

mineral lick

Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default mineral lick

Next year, I want to start a couple mineral licks near my stand but don't know much about them. I don't want the blocks as they don't work well at my area. I want the powder stuff that you mix yourself. It takes about three or four different powders of stuff I've read about before but don't remember where. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can help? Thanks in advance.
BBO
Old 12-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mineral lick

You are talking about "Deer Cocaine" aka whatever else they call it. Just plain salt works. I am at a buddy's place a fair bit and there is a spot where he dumped a small portion of rock salt. That spot was dug up all the time for two years. I've been told that you should add monosodium glutamate to it, donno about that for sure but I do know about the salt.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Buddy, this is what I use,this makes 200 lbs.
buy 1 50lbbag calcium phosphate
1 50lb bag stock salt (ice creme salt)
2 50lb bags loose red mineral salt
Get a large coffee can and mix 2 parts red mineral salt, 1 part calcium phospate and 1 part stock salt.
Do not mix till you get ready to use it will set up.
Dig up a 3 foot circle about 6 inches deep and mix in with soil, refreshen in 6 months and once a year after that.

I put about 20 lb. to a circle and put it out in April. I bought it all at Southern States for around $30.00.

Hope this helps Martin
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive allways used a salt block but now Iam going to try the martinfaw mix for nxt yr,thanks...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Before I knew any better, I used to place the expensive salt blocks out for deer season, then complained that they never worked. The thing is, deer look for salt early in the season. It is also true that Doe's need the salt/mineral more then the bucks do as the fawns drain alot of nurishment from the doe, which they need to replenish.

What I do not is just go to the farmers supply and get a normal Salt/mineral block and usually put it out in the fall. This will let it sit all winter and soak into the ground. It took the deer about 3 years to find the spot I put it, not a very high traffic spot, but now the hole is huge and about 2.5 feet deep. I have seen where the deer have eat the soil out from under the actual block (did not eat the block, only the soil).

IT takes time to get your site established, but once it is, they will be there all the time.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Spike

I buy the dark redish brown salt block with all the trace minerals in it pick your spot and go to work on it with a heavy hammer bust it in to small pieces once it soaks into the ground they will use it one block will make about 3 licks it is basicly the same mineral you use for sheep and goats you would be amazed at the critters you see around the holes that will develope
Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the recipe, martinfaw. I'll give it a try next season. I use the red livestock bocks now, is there a reason for busting them up? I just toss them by the corn.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

.................. I use the red livestock bocks now, is there a reason for busting them up? I just toss them by the corn.
IT helps desolve the salt into the soil faster. The deer want the soil (with salt) not just the salt. The earliest you start, the better it will be. Once they find the salt pit, they will come to it, but spring and summer are the most active times for the pit.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Martin. I appreciate it.
BBO
Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Here is a well established Mineral site that I have at one of my spots. I stopped putting out plain salt blocks since they dissolve real fast and there are better things then just plain salt IMO. I put out every spring a Trace mineral block, which is mostly salt but has alot of minerals in it that are very helpful to the deer. Then I also put out a cattle block. That is what you see in this pic, the mineral block has already melted into the ground. The cattle block has alot more of the minerals in it that are in some of the other antler growth products. It is high in calcium, phosphorus, and other goodies. The block also last most of the year. The mineral and cattle block both cost only five and eight bucks for them, if you are buying your stuff with the name of hunting on it you usually get hosed in the price. Also, if you start to look at other blocks be careful of what you get, some have a lot of copper in them, which from what I read and others say that is harmful to deer if they get to much. I only put them out for deer health and to help the does in the spring and the bucks grow racks. I have only one time had a deer come in and lick a block during season. They usually stop the minerals about mid august in my area.

Quick Reply: mineral lick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.