Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OVER-Spined?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OVER-Spined?

Not to be rude.....but I asked for info regarding a hunting setup.

I KNOW my hunting arrows were over-spined. What's wrong with this?.....assuming you've got plenty of push (fps/KE)behind the arrow?

I'm talking about in a hunting situation.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

no problem...

my bad!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM

I guess I'm puzzled over why you would want to be anything other than running an arrow of ideal spine. Of course, there are lots of instances of where someone inadvertently winds up with too stiff of an arrow - which is hard to mitigate, other than increasing tip weight or increasing pull weight - and reports that they actually shoot pretty well. But in my logic, I'm going to try get the spine as close to ideal as possible. The arrow has just got to fly straighter. Also, the tuning process - particularly paper tuning - can bea real frustrating processif the arrow spine is wrong.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Roskoe:

I look at this like pulling my ATV with my Tundra. Sure....it's rated for a LOT more weight.....but it pulls the trailer with the 4 wheeler on there....and you don't even know it's back there.

So....if my setup will handle the extra weight arrow (and spine).......what's the harm? I'm only gaining KE.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I know you've already got the arrows, but if you were to do it again, here's an idea. You could use heavier brass inserts and a 125 head to get the KE up. Not to mention you'll have a FOC through the roof. You could probably get helicopter blades to fly straight like that . I know Rev or someone did this to get a high FOC setup, and it ended up being something rediculous like %22.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

if they made 125gr Rage heads.....they'd be on my arrows.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt:

if they made 125gr Rage heads.....they'd be on my arrows.
I have that request as well.

I'll be shooting them again next year.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Here's what I'm thinking....I don't know this as fact, but to me, it seems logical. Thinking out loud here.............

An arrow HAS to flex upon release. It has no choice really. TOO much flex and the fletching has to work too hard to correct the flight.....hence, erradic arrow flight. Too LITTLE flex and it would want to flip the arrow over, yes?? Again, forcing the fletching to work overtime to correct it. I always get this part confused, I can't remember if underspined makes a left or a right tear....bear w/ me here....

But that's why if an arrow is underspined, you get a left/right tear, and if it's OVERspined you get a right/left tear...(whichever it is for a right handed shooter).........Sooooooo, logically, that problem would be amplified w/ the addition of a fixed blade broadhead, yes??
Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

Here's what I'm thinking....I don't know this as fact, but to me, it seems logical. Thinking out loud here.............

An arrow HAS to flex upon release. It has no choice really. TOO much flex and the fletching has to work too hard to correct the flight.....hence, erradic arrow flight. Too LITTLE flex and it would want to flip the arrow over, yes?? Again, forcing the fletching to work overtime to correct it. I always get this part confused, I can't remember if underspined makes a left or a right tear....bear w/ me here....

But that's why if an arrow is underspined, you get a left/right tear, and if it's OVERspined you get a right/left tear...(whichever it is for a right handed shooter).........Sooooooo, logically, that problem would be amplified w/ the addition of a fixed blade broadhead, yes??
You lost me mobow.

Why do you think the arrow wants to flip end over end?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't know, Mobo. I shoot mech's....if that makes a diff.

Quick Reply: OVER-Spined?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.