Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Felons banned from bowhunting? >

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 AM

Default RE: Felons banned from bowhunting?

I normally don't get into the little squables between whats right and whats wrong in other peoples opinions here, cause its just that, your opinion. This here is a cut and dry decision made by your local law makers. My wife is a Probation Officer and I hear the horror stories about it all the time.

Va Bowmen and I have a mutual friend that got into a high school fist fight 17 years ago and is still paying the price by not being able to own a gun, vote for his favorite goverment official, or black powder hunt. He is one of the few cases in our society that made a simple mistake, but must pay for it for as long as these other more dangerous criminals keep screwing up on a consistant basis.

He bowhunts and bass fishes and raises 2 children and isearning a living that only I can hope to have. These are the only pleasures that a man in his situation can do to keep himself sain in this sick society.

So my answer is "NO" I don't think that any state should take away your right to hunt with other means than a firearm. people kill people, not guns or bows. There is a big difference in gun control, and makeing stupid decisions just becouse some law maker is also a anti-hunter.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am 46 years old. during my misspent youth, over 20 years ago, I committed a felonious assault. I was convicted, and went to prison. I spent 3 years and 3 months behind bars. I am not the same person today that I was 24 years ago. I don't want anyone's sympathy. If I have to pay for the rest of my life,( and I will), so be it. I made choices back then that have consequences. I can live with them.
If that means there are states that will not allow me to bowhunt, fine, I'll take my bow elsewhere. If someday I'm not allowed to hunt at all I will be brokenhearted. However, again, these are consequences of my choices and actions.
Here in Tx state law allows me to hunt with a primitive muzzleloader as well as a bow. I know, I know, federal law differs and that is a whole 'nother can of worms I don't care to debate right now.
Taking a bow out of the hands of a convicted felon is meaningless in detering future crime. If someone wants to commit an assault or robbery they can do it with a bat or a pipe. They don't need a bow to do it.
No one but me assaulted that man all those years ago. I got what I deserved. Prison was the right sentence. Its where I belonged. Today I am a respected, responsible member of society. I am a father and husband. I am an ethical and responsible hunter. I am in a leadership position in my place of employment. None of that changes the past.
Some of you may lose respect for for me knowing what you now know about me. That is OK, I will still have my self respect.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 AM

And the ones here who have made mistakes in the past, don't feel the need to explain yourself or look for forgiveness in this forum. That is something personal to you and your family, if you learned from your mistakes that is all that matters.

Although some of the stories are interesting......
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Team Virginia

And the ones here who have made mistakes in the past, don't feel the need to explain yourself or look for forgiveness in this forum. That is something personal to you and your family, if you learned from your mistakes that is all that matters.

I got forgivness from the only one that matters!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

To many variables???? What's the crime????? What's that old saying..... o' yeah...... Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!....
I agree 100%.........
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Greg.....

Since you've posted, here.....just know you're one of the two I was speaking of. And...you're also one I'm PROUD to call my friend.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Greg.....

Since you've posted, here.....just know you're one of the two I was speaking of. And...you're also one I'm PROUD to call my friend.
Thank you friend.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: Team Virginia

I got forgivness from the only one that matters!
I only say this for those who need to hear it. The person assaulted suffers when they cannot forgive. They are still paying for the wrong done them.

A friend in law enforcemnet told me just last night of a friend who was shot several times trying to stop a fleeing bank robber. He forgave the guy after some time and said that until he did, his life was a wreck. He even ran for governer to pardon the guy he was now good friends with. Both had found forgiveness in the One you talk about. He had to leave the force because he viewed everyone as a threat to his life before forgiving the guy.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forgive the sinner, hate the sin....

In Colorado, felons may hunt with a muzzleloader. A bow is off limits. I'm not sure of any state which completely bans felons from hunting?

I am not an Attorney (that word has crossed my lips twice in a week-ecks!), But isn't there a process which would allow convicted, upstanding and productive, felons the opportuntiy to seal their criminal record? I definitely see a difference, and I am willing to give a guy another chance-especially if he's proven himself worthy.

My two cents...
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grneyemonstr

sorry no sympathy for felons here. i would rather not see them in thre woods.
Sounds a little short sighted. I think there are many very good people who've made mistakes in their lives, and deserve another chance. Teddy Kennedy would be convicted felon, for vehicular homicide if the laws were applied fairly in this country, but since he's a Kennedy, we was above the LAW then.

The Chappaquiddick incident refers to the circumstances surrounding the 1969 death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a former staff member in Senator Robert F. Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign. Edward Kennedy was driving a car with Kopechne as his passenger when the Senator drove off Dike Bridge into the channel between Chappaquiddick Island and Martha's Vineyard. The Senator swam to safety, but Kopechne died in the car. Kennedy pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and received a suspended sentence of two months in jail.
Think any of us would have gotten a nice little 2 month jail sentence??? Ever been in a fight??? As I said on pg. 1, a simple fist fight CAN turn into a FELONIOUS ASSAULT, and put a man or woman on that list!!! I'd agree if we are discussing a gang murderor, however, there are more than rapists and murderors on the Felony List. In all honesty, I believe that once a felon had done his/her time, and is finished with parole, they need to be given the same rights as anyone else, not have that tag held above them. If a man has paid his time for his crime, then he needs to be released and given a fair chance in life, make that mistake TWICE though, I then have much less mercy for you!!!

Quick Reply: Felons banned from bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.