Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fatboys or GT UL 22's **UPDATED** >

Fatboys or GT UL 22's **UPDATED**

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fatboys or GT UL 22's **UPDATED**

Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fatboys or GT UL 22's **UPDATED**

I am looking at some target arrows, and narrowed it down to these two. I really like the looks of the Fatboy's, but know how durable GT's (gold tip)are sinceI shoot them now. I know there are a lot of target guys on here. Which arrow would you buy, for mainly 3-D shooting, with a little VEgas and five spot thrown in the mix.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fatboys or GT UL 22's

One of my best buds shoots 3d, big time. He uses fat boys and swears by them.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

For 3D (IBO anyway) the Fatboy is too heavy of a shaft for my tastes. I would chose the GT X-cutter everytime over the Fatboy, and unless I was doing more open air type shooting over the fabulous GT 22 series shafts as well.

That said my new 3D shafts will be Linejammer 250 Spine Selects from carbon Express. LOL

Decide what weight you need based upon what speed you desire for your shooting, then "build" a finished arrow on paper complete with components to see what arrows are then compatible within your proper spine range.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot both. I prefer the Fatboys. That's what I'm shooting for 3d now, and that's what I took to shoot with Jeff and Aaron. They are pricey though. Fatboys are the toughest target arrow I've come across, they are right up there with Gold-Tip. I absolutely drilled a tree when I was shooting with Jeff and Aaron, and all it did was knock the UniBushing out of the back, nothing wrong with the arrow at all, but Jeff hit one once and it put a crack way down the shaft. I still think it was something in the target and not Jeff hitting it though. The Fatboy's will be alot easier to get to spine out properly as well.

EDIT: They are a little heavier GPI, but they worked out for my poundage and so forth. My 27 3/4" arrow, with 80gr points, weigh 308gr. Those are Fatboy 500's.

EDIT(2): I like the Gold Tip shafts as well, I meant to add that into the original post. If I were shooting Gold-Tip, I would be shooting The Pro22's, like Matt and buckeye said. I just really like the Fatboys, and my Victory XRinger HV's. I could have been put on the Advisory Staff, back about a month ago, but I just didn't plan on shooting Gold-Tips, even though that would have been a free 2 dozen shafts and components [&:].

If you go GoldTip, definately get Pin Nocks.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am all about the 22 series ultralight pro shafts..... The pin nock components are a must as well imo....
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking the fatter shaft could put me in the 12 ring instead of the 10 on the 3-D course. Matt/ Pa, how heavy are those linjammers. I havent looked into the CX area at all yet, and have no experience with them. I am thinking a 380 grain Fatboy 400 sounds good. It should give me plenty of speed, well all i want anyways. I may be overspined at 62 lbs, though. Most of this stuff is new to me, so bear with me guys.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If shooting lower poundage and draw lengths,the Fatboys and Carbon express offer fat arrows that are properly spined.

In the past when looking at gold tips,I could not get anywhere close to properly spined with fat shafts but not sure of their offerings today
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeye, what kind of bow are you shooting those out of buddy.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot these out of many bows.... I have shot them for all target venues for a few years... I have even hunted with them....

Currently I am shooting them for our 3spot leagueout of a Diamond Marquis set at 60 pounds.... Darts buddy.... They fly like darts....
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

I shoot GT UL pro 22's out of a 60 lb allegiance at 28" and have no problem shooting these overspined and getting them to fly awesome.

I've heard many accounts of these tuning fine out of many different bow combos.

Quick Reply: Fatboys or GT UL 22's **UPDATED**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.