Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's wrong with this way of thinking? >

What's wrong with this way of thinking?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's wrong with this way of thinking?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What's wrong with this way of thinking?

Let's say you wanna hunt and shoot 3D with the same bow.

So....you're probably going to be shooting arrows of differing weights. OK....so assuming your windage is the same on both sets of arrows (properly tuned bow)......why couldn't you just leave your sight pins alone.....and have different pin settings (yardages) for your two sets of arrows.

Wouldn't this save you having to re-sight in your bow for different purposes? Does anyone do this?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's wrong with this way of thinking?

Come on Bro that's cheesey...A man of your means, should just buy identical bows and set them up for the task at hand.

I think you should have 3 (1 for spots, 3D, Hunting) Set the new one up for 3D order the tree-stand camo you want, for hunting!

I'm sure everytime you buy a Bow, your lovely wife gets a gift of equal or more value...it's win/win

You know next year you'll need an unlimited target bow...so you'll get to spend some more money then!

I'm living vicariously through you..so spend big!!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I am not up on 3d or anything but why not have 2 sets of sights? One for hunting and the other for 3d, then all you have to do is put on whichever set you are going to need. Going to shoot 3d, no problem put on 3d sights, going hunting no problem put on hunting sights. I know very little about 3d so if my post is irrelevant i'm sorry......
Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually killa....that's a great idea. Just interchange the slide bar into the dovetail....and go.

That's cool.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It probably also depends on your arrow shaft thickness, and your peep, loop (nockpoint) rest. Did it change when you went to the thicker arrows?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sure would load your sight picture up with alot of pins. Plus I think that it would beconfusingwith 5 pins in your window.JMO
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, knowing you shoot the Viper, i was going to recommend what killadoe said...

when i first put on my Viper, that was my first thought was IF i ever got into HC 3d, i could easily swap the housing out....shoot some light line cutters for 3d and shoot my heavy arrows for hunting...

doubt its much cheaper than buying the WHOLE sight, but it will be true each time you put it on..and both will be ready to go, and you can keep your 5 pins on your hunting sights and keep 4 on the HC(think HC is 4pin max) i think it would be a good route to go.

trying to learn to do what your saying will be tough...if you shoot alot of one and not alot of other, you may confuse yourself in the heat of the moment...i know i dont THINK use my 20yd pin in the treestand...i know to throw my top green pin on it...also, might not work period...i could see the difference falling in the pin gaps...you would have to shoot each pin with both arrows and see and remember what pin is good for what yardage....
Old 01-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

GR8.....Yes....MINE did change (windage adjustment - switching from skinny to fat shafts). What I was doing though....is relating this for a lot of guys who shoot the same arrows for 3D that they hunt with.

For me....I'll be shooting the same arrows for 3D, period. It's just that some shoots I'll have to abide by a fps regulation. For those.....I'm going to have to build some REAL heavy arrows. It would be nice to not have to re-sight my bow between shoots. So.....I was thinking about this. I love killadoe's suggestion. One would only need 2 sights instead of 2 bows. If the 2 sights had a dovetail bar.......even easier.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Iuse the same set up for 3D as I do for hunting. I'm out there to practice for hunting and learn my equipment. I'm not suggesting the same for you, it's just my point of view.I think if you were going to change arrows. I like the 2 sights idea. As long as the arrow diameter is the same.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming the bow tune didn't change at all, including diameter of arrows, the only difference would be arrow speed.

The problem with one set of pins is that you would, in theory, have totally different yardage numbers, you couldn't just say what was 20,30,40 is now 25, 35, 45. The rate of drop would be greater for the slower arrows, so the numbers would become something like 23, 35, 48

You might be able to do it, but would you remember the two sets of numbers.

Two better options:

- 2 sights, one setup each way

or better....

Use the same exact setup for hunting!

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this way of thinking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.