Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whisker biscuit VS Drop away >

whisker biscuit VS Drop away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whisker biscuit VS Drop away

Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whisker biscuit VS Drop away

I started hunting in the early 90's with a regular rest, not a fall away, and then switched to a WB about 10 years ago. I do know you will lose a small amount of speed, but in my case I don't believe it's ever hurt me. The benifits I find with the WB is not worrying about an arrow falling off the rest. I use 5" plastic vanes so the WB supports the arrow and I have never had a fletching come off. Granted I only shoot my bow, give or take, 300 arrows a year. I also stalk with this setup being careful to always have my arrow well away from any body parts. It's nice if you have an ethical down ward shot into the spine to drop the deer in it's tracks, just be certain that you will never miss by more than an inch at this distance, losing a deer sucks and inexperienced hunters that do not practice enough should not attempt this. I will always use the WB until something better comes along.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Couple of points: (Disclaimer.....WB is a great rest)

1. You can get full arrow containment with a few different fall away rest, today.

2. Just because your arrow isn't in contact with your rest with a fall away....never lose sight of the fact that it's STILL attached to your string.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wont get in to this due to the fact Iam a big WB fan,but Iam going to take a hard look at the Hostage Pro when my shop gets one in.....If I was a 3-D shooter I MIGHT THINK about a dopaway but other then that no,as far as speed goes goes 1 to maybe 3 fps isnt a reason to change...
.................................................. ................................If it aint broke why fix it............
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

If it ain't broken don't fix it!
BTW, I shoot a drop-away.
Exactly. I have used a WB for nearly6-7 years now and I like everything about it for hunting. My biggest concern with the fall away rests are the moving parts........... There are too many of them for me.

I like to keep it simple.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM

i switched last year to a qad rest from a wb. i didn't get any fps out of it. but i shoot tighter groups now from distance. i think drop aways are easier to tune but that's imho. and i don't have to worry about wearing the whiskers out any more. i like both styles though.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 PM

I here the talk that if your bow is shooting fast that the fall aways may not be the right choice but whisker biscuts slow down your arrow speed and that much contact could cause problems with the longer shots but i know lots of guys that use them and like them. I personally use the pro boododle lite and love it. I have a flipper deal that my bow shop put on to keep the arrow in place and it works great if you are in the stand but not for any stocking

[/align]
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a dropaway. Then I switched to a WB. Now I'm back to a dropaway (QAD).

The WB was okay. I liked the full containment. But you can get full containment with a dropaway now so I saw no reason to deal with the negatives of the WB (noisey draw and wrinkled fletching).

The QAD is the best rest I've ever owned. I like the fact that I can put moleskin on the prongs and have a totally silent dropaway rest with full containment.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Ive had no problem with rencled fletching since i switched to blazers with the wb
Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 PM

If your shooting great with your WB then why switch? Unless you dont like the fletchings getting torn up

Personally I shoot the Ultra Rest...itsa great rest, it contains the arrow and gives full clearance

Quick Reply: whisker biscuit VS Drop away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.