Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your view on Outfitters? >

What is your view on Outfitters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Outfitter's are great, I only hunt with them.
0.98%
I can't stand outfitters.
12.75%
Outfitting is perfectly acceptable, but I don't use them.
50.98%
Outfitting costs way too much money for me
11.76%
I can't afford to use an outfitter so my hunting is limited.
2.94%
There should be a set limit on the amount of ground outfitted.
12.75%
Ive lost good hunting ground to outfitters
4.90%
I own an outfitter: My land, my rights, too bad.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What is your view on Outfitters?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Default RE: What is your view on Outfitters?

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There is no right answer in that poll for me.

I've used outfitters in the past, bear in Canada, elk in WY. I'm going to an outfitter in IL in Nov. I'm fine with it but I don't use them all the time, more like I rarely use them so again, no right answer in the poll.

Same here..........have used them, will again...........but hunt mainly on my own.

Most people that have problemswith outfitters are those that have had land gobbled up by them or can't afford to use them.............misplaced anger IMO.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM

no answer for me. I will use them, but almost always hunt on my own.

I will most likely only be using them for out of state hunts for species i am unfamiliar with. Such as my planned Pronghorn bow hunt in SD this coming up fall.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would..but prolly wouldn't care too

Around here theres outfitters everywhere...we have 6-8 right here in my county...with more coming

Its getting out of hand....I'm 15 and I'm always hearing "I'm going to hate it for the up and coming generations with no where to hunt"!

A couple of outfitters is ok....but when you have so many outfitters around its hard to find a place to hunt then theres somthing wrong! Its also bad when some people pay these outfitters and they wind up on Public Land!!

If the State of Illinois wasn't worried so much about Money and more concerned on people keeping their land then who knows what Illinois could be!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasebaker

I would..but prolly wouldn't care too

Around here theres outfitters everywhere...we have 6-8 right here in my county...with more coming

Its getting out of hand....I'm 15 and I'm always hearing "I'm going to hate it for the up and coming generations with no where to hunt"!

A couple of outfitters is ok....but when you have so many outfitters around its hard to find a place to hunt then theres somthing wrong! Its also bad when some people pay these outfitters and they wind up on Public Land!!

If the State of Illinois wasn't worried so much about Money and more concerned on people keeping their land then who knows what Illinois could be!
I think Im mostly like you...I understand outfitting and don't have much of an issue with it UNTIL it becomes to where people can't find places to hunt without paying for an outfitted hunt or having to lease. I think there should be some kind of a limit or something to where only so much acreage can be outfitted- or some kind of control over it.

One day it probably will get to where you have to pay an outrageous amount to hunt, I know I can't afford $4,000 for a 3 or 4 day hunt. Then what?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: englum_06

I know I can't afford $4,000 for a 3 or 4 day hunt. Then what?
Public land....with all of those who had to hunt it from day one and those who can't afford guided hunts who may have hunted private ground before.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bols

ORIGINAL: englum_06

I know I can't afford $4,000 for a 3 or 4 day hunt. Then what?
Public land....with all of those who had to hunt it from day one and those who can't afford guided hunts who may have hunted private ground before.

I dont know where you're from in IL, but I know where I am there isn't any public ground for about 45 miles and theres already way too many that hunt it.

Im saying in the future, if more outfitters keep buying up land and forcing hunters off of it, how many more hunters are those public lands going to have then?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

I am not voting but I will say this.......I am confident if this poll were taken to the general hunting population, at least here in Illinois, 5-1 would be against outfitters. Maybe even higher.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a clue as to hunt elk, moose, antelope or just about anything besides native Wisconsin species. Therefor I would have to have a guide of some kind and an outfitter would mostlikely be my only option.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted with outfitters twice many years ago and unfortunately both experiences were not favorable.It is possible I will hunt with an outfitter again in the future but pretty unlikely.I prefer to do it myself on out of state hunts.
I believe it is especially difficult to find relatively reasonably priced guided hunts that are actually good ones.I do think you can find good hunts on the high end of the price spectrum,but I can do it myself for 25% of those kind of expenses.
The one thing that a lot of hunters forget,myself included in the past is that there is good and bad in all walks of life including us hunters,we feel especially violated when a member of the hunting "community" deceives us.
These outfitters need to make a living regardless of winter kill or other conditions that influence the hunting in their area.
In general I would say that I don't like the proliferation of outfitters but I don't know what can be done to reverse the trend.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I have hunted with outfitters twice many years ago and unfortunately both experiences were not favorable.It is possible I will hunt with an outfitter again in the future but pretty unlikely.I prefer to do it myself on out of state hunts.
I believe it is especially difficult to find relatively reasonably priced guided hunts that are actually good ones.I do think you can find good hunts on the high end of the price spectrum,but I can do it myself for 25% of those kind of expenses.
The one thing that a lot of hunters forget,myself included in the past is that there is good and bad in all walks of life including us hunters,we feel especially violated when a member of the hunting "community" deceives us.
These outfitters need to make a living regardless of winter kill or other conditions that influence the hunting in their area.
In general I would say that I don't like the proliferation of outfitters but I don't know what can be done to reverse the trend.
I have to agree with TSOC. I have done an outfitter once and was not satisfied. I guess I didn't pay enough money. I prefer DIY anyway. I may lease property for an out of state hunt but I would rather scout and hang my own stands.

Quick Reply: What is your view on Outfitters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.