Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dr Kroll "The next 25 years" >

Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

Old 01-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

In NYS we are losing 2 hunters for every new one,by 2010 we will be losing 4 for every new hunter we recruit.So says D!ck Henry,region 4 biologist.He made that comment at a meeting this past monday evening.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: tsoc

In NYS we are losing 2 hunters for every new one,by 2010 we will be losing 4 for every new hunter we recruit.So says D!ck Henry,region 4 biologist.He made that comment at a meeting this past monday evening.
So with less hunters can NYS manage the same as they did the past 25 years? I don't know
Old 01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

You might want to read it, it's a little different than you are assuming
So it's different from one of the many books he's written and videos he's made????
Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You might want to read it, it's a little different than you are assuming
So it's different from one of the many books he's written and videos he's made????
I think you andI view what he has done in the past different. GO to th library and read it
Old 01-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: gobblegetterNY

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

"For too long, we have mismanaged whitetail herds to maximize "hunter opportunity."

What other reason would we manage them for?
Possibly overall herd health???
Avoid over population

To have less mv/deer collisions

To avoid the spread of disease

To have less crop damage..........................

I see none of those as concerns of a typical average hunter.
Your view of the typical average hunter is vastly different than mine.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Your view of the typical average hunter is vastly different than mine.

Maybe our definition of "typical average hunter" is just different.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I think Kroll would have everyone do it like the Texas fenced in joints do. Most of his recent books have been on "Growing and Harvesting Big Bucks", Food plot production etc etc. Not all bad, but if he has everyone fencing and controlling the deer then everyone will end up behind walls. Well everyone with 10 or 20 thousand dollars to spend on a deer hunt. The minute people start talking about "Managing the herd" I see hunting going further from it's roots and further from the hunting I love. I know.... it's me, but I like it like it is in nature, not the way it is inside a fence with food plots, breeder stock and managing. Bag limits and all are a necessity, but we need biologist setting them, not some politician.
Obi Wan, you may have a very valid point. I'm not trying to slam Dr. Kroll and generally like what I've seen of him on t.v., but he has been the head biologist at a "hunting" ranch called Mustang Creek (http://www.whitetailbuck.com/) for quite a while. I know of this place because one of my best friends has been given a free "hunt" for several years at said ranch. His description of the "hunt" is a guide usually accompanies each "hunter" to a stand where the guide will tell him what time the deer he can shoot should be coming through. If you see a different animal that you want to take other than the one covered in the paid "hunt" you can give the guide your credit card number which the guide calls in to the office and once it clears you can shoot a "trophy". Once the "hunt" is over, there are workers at the "ranch" that will "clean" your deer for you (gratuities are expected) which consists of them lopping off the parts you want with giant shears and chunking the rest. You can imagine how much meat is wasted. Now, my buddy doesn't really think its hunting but he loves the meat and has shot some other species. Once again, I'm not slamming Kroll but, IMO, there's something distasteful about that operation and its a little suprising, or maybe disappointing that he is so involved with something like that. But I guess to each his own and everbody's got to make a living. I wonder if Charles Alsheimer is or would be involved with something like that? I wouldn't think so but I wouldn't have guessed Kroll would either. Sometimes it seems hunting is heading in a sad direction.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm surprised to see hunter numbers down, I know here every Tom, Dick, and Harry is an expert deer hunter, I mean literally everybody hunts and every square foot of land seems like it is overhunted. They say our hunter numbers are down, maybe overall but not deer hunters. It seems to get worse every year too. But they are what keeps our sport so strong also so is it good or bad? I can see it both ways.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Is it available online?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

No as far as I know

Quick Reply: Dr Kroll "The next 25 years"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.