Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camera Buffs

Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camera Buffs

WOW thanks everyone.. Here's what I learned! I KNOW NOTHING!

Loadsmasher, WVSportsman (turn them caps off ) Buck magnet awesome pics
Diesel..Great info

Matt great info, and as soon as I get a translator, I'll learn how good!

I appreciate all the effort.. Now one more Question.

SUGGEST WHAT CAMERA TO BUY...PARAMETERS:
Good quality, that probably won't go much farther than a computer screen.
Maybe an occasional8x10
The Camera I have a Nikon Coolpix 775 (bought new 5 years ago) takes so long to trigger, I could dodge the picture. So I want fast trigger speed and as quiet as possible.
To make it a challenge lets keep the $200 range.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8, I have been shooting photos for 40+ years and if you can find one, get a Fuji Finepix S5000. It is like a 35mm camera in that you look through the lens, but can switch to the lcd if you want. If I remember correctly, it has a 10x optical. You can set the quality of photos you want from 1mp to 6.3 mp. You can attach different filters to it. It has a fast trigger speed and if you have experience with 35mm's, you can set different f stops and shutter speeds. I bought mine 3 years ago and it is fantastic for hunting, fishing, and camping. I have blown photos from this camera up to poster size and had them turn out really nice. I paid $229 for mine. Please do yourself a favor and check them out.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

AF..thanks
Do I have to know about shutter speeds and f-stops (I don't) to make that baby work?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats where the auto setting or video settings come in handy. Point, shoot, smile. Pretty dang simple. Here's a photo taken with my fuji....

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Skimmed through the thread really quick. Gr8... I think it might help if you elaborated as to what you would like to take pictures of. If just everyday things and nothing "long distance" then I think you would do fine with a typical "point and shoot" camera. If you are looking to take more professional pics or looking to shoot things from a distance (ie deer in a field, birds in flight etc) then a DSLR would be the best option. Now again... what you want to pay will also be a factor. There are NUMEROUS point and shoot digi cams at reasonable prices. When you get into DSLR's, the prices go up and depending on the glass you buy with them, you can spend a lot more.

I have a Canon Cybershot for my little digi and a Nikon D40 for my nice camera (2 lenses as well). I will say that I love my Nikon for the fact that I can play with the f-stop and shutter speed etc. Both work fine for what I bought them for. Don't get caught into the hype that you need to buy a $500 camera to take good pictures. With that said, just do some decent research before you decide. I'd post some pics I've taken over the last year or so, but don't want to clutter the thread.

As for the megapixel debate. Of course they mean something. But unless you are going to be creating HUGE prints and printing them out, don't worry too much about that. My D40 is around 6MP and my Powershot is 7.1MP. Unless I am blowing them up to REALLY high-res pics, its not noticeable. So don't buy into all the hype that more MP is necessarily better than less.

Keep us posted on your search!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 AM

Yeah, sorry if it didnt help, It was a pain in the a$$ for me too!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

No offense meant ........BUT ......

buying a camera from Cabela's would be like....mmm.....'a fish riding a bicycle'

getting a medical opinion from your mailman.

Go to a camera/video place that sells them.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the same camera as Buck Magnet, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5. This is a great camera and it will take video as well. What ever you get make sure it has a image stabilizer, this helps with a high zoom pictures. A must in my book for shooting pics outdoors!

Here is a couple pics I've taken with mine:

close up of a small flower on my property!

The Agora. Zoomed in, 12x all the way, still pretty good quality and size! I took this from a top of the Acropolis in Greece.