Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do hunters know best? >

Do hunters know best?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do hunters know best?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do hunters know best?

I spend 320 plus days per year in said woods. I have a hand on growth, species and diversity of life in my woods. Because it directly affects my lifestyle.
I'd say you're in the 10 percentile.

On a side note why do those "trusted doctors" carry malpractice insurance?
Because it's required, by law??????

So you trust no one who is an "expert" in their field.....if they receive their education viaa higher learning institute? As far as I know.....most Biologists are required (and they love it) to do field studies. I just spent an hour on the phone last night with my local wildlife bio. . He loves what he does....and is extremely knowledgeable. I mean....compared to the yahoo hunters I know, he is.

I'm finding that what "we" (hunters) think we know and what we actually know are sometimes worlds apart. Not true in every case.....but heck I think I have to trust someone.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like good doctors there are good biologist And like bad doc........

What the states goals for their land are , and what my goals are for my land are is where the discrepancy comes in. I don't believe that the one size fits all method of deer management is the best method.

Sheeple like lemmings need no eyes their destiny is set, but the blindest of allare those who fail to question what they see.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do hunters know best? Nope. Some are very selfish and want the states goals to be what they want and want regulations changed basically for their clique of hunters. Others don't really care because they are opening day guys that just go to be social.

Do some hunters know best, yes but I feel it's a very small percentage of hunters.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think alot of hunters have the me me me mind set and we need fish and game to control those people
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Hunters do not know best. Not only are the professionals educated, and trained, they have field data to examine cause and effect. They have results of prior decisions. They view data and make decisons every year on what they have found in past years. There is more to it than just a 4 year degree.

As Germ said. The goals are very different however. They know what is best for the herd overall. We as hunters want to see more and bigger deer. That is the conflict.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of Germ how about that post of his from 1938? Same ideas different goals?

I wonder what the next generation of "biologist" answers will be?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

id like to see what would happen if hunters ran things in PA. i read the same posts that you are talking about...about the only ones i agree with are usually yours lol...some of them guys need to step away from the bong prior to posting their ideas....

but, in a state with ~1mill hunters, you aint gunna please everyone and it definently makes management tough. the managers gotta set their goals and try to work with the hunters and data to obtain their goals...just a real hard thing to do over a course of a whole state and with the # of hunters we have...and then you got the whole "tradition" thing...hell might actually freeze solid if "buck" season didnt open Monday after Thanksgiving...or if we went slug gun/ml/bow only....or we went earn a buck etc etc.....

i rather see things how they are then have a bunch of guys rippin the bong decided to close doe season and drop ARs.....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Agreed.

What the states goals for their land are , and what my goals are for my land are is where the discrepancy comes in.
I thought we were talking about herd mgmt./hunting?

Letting the foxes run the hen house doesn't seem like a good idea in my eyes.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM

as much as i'd love to see hunter opinions taken at greater weight, that thought also scares me... never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers... as much as I like to question the reasoning, the other side of allowing more public opinion in on the decision making is even scarier to me on this particular subject...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Agreed.

What the states goals for their land are , and what my goals are for my land are is where the discrepancy comes in.
I thought we were talking about herd mgmt./hunting?

Letting the foxes run the hen house doesn't seem like a good idea in my eyes.
In PA hard wood timber is the # 1 export and our forest are managed to expand timber production. Hard woods like , Oak & Cherry lead the list.
I refuse to cut oak or cherry because of the mast produced for wildlife,I cut maple for fire wood as Timber is not how I make a living,so I don't have the same goals as the state does. But I manage my woods forwildlife just like I manage my shop for profit.
The state and I both profit, butin different ways.

Quick Reply: Do hunters know best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.