Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What wrong with me.... >

What wrong with me....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What wrong with me....

Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 AM

Default What wrong with me....

O.K. Here it is......@5:00a.m. and i've been up for a couple hours already. I don't know whats happening to me, but It started around Jan 7th or 8th. I can't seem to get my mind off of hunting, shooting my bow, climbing into my stand, going through my gear, my bow set up, ect..ect..ect..

I started bow hunting about three years ago, and each year I get a little more into it. This year I felt I was getting pretty "die Hard" and enjoyed it more than previous years. My wife has seen this metamorphasis also. Here is my problem (if it is a problem):

Our latebow season ended here in WI on Jan 6th. Since then My mind is always on some aspect of the sport. I haven't had a full nights sleep since than. I find myself just staring out the window for long periods of time. I cant get Sept 13 out of my mind, (you guessed it - 2008 opener).

Its 10-20 below zero outside this time of year here so shooting outside to take up some time is tough and there is not an indoor archery range around for miles. I have been doing some rabbit hunting with my son to get me in the woods and have a great time with him, but its not the same....

Does anyone else feel or has felt this way before? And if so what can you suggest to get me through these tough times[]. Mossy oak said it best with "its not a passion, it's an obsession"(or something on those lines)

O.k., now I am rambling....see whats happening to me...My wife is in bed and I am out here posting threads in the middle of the night......HELP!

(sorry so lengthy....)
Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 AM

Default RE: What wrong with me....

jkcmerg, there is nothing wrong with you. I have been bowhunting/hunting 20 yrs and I still can't get my mind off of it. Especially this time of year, go back over the season in my head and it keeps reminding me of what I want to do for next year. It will get easier in the spring when i start bass fishing tournys, but it never leaves me. Deer hunting, especially bowhunting, is always on my mind at some point in the day. This forum will help reduce the agony of withdraw... face it, you hooked and there is nothing wrong with it!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 AM

i'm right there with you. season ended here the 17th of january.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 AM

I have the same thing, mines a little different Im deployed overseas Im just excited to get back and put my bow together and actually shoot it, wherever, and hopefully get ready for the season to come, but Salmon season in alaska is huge so Ill have some distractions.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please consider Texas. They have hunting opportunities throughout the year. Try a go at hogs and exotics. It may become your cure.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 AM

I catch myself also dreaming of another day on the stand but here in TN the season is over and can only dream. cmon spring.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 AM

There must be some bucks dropping sheds by now in your area this can keep you going for months i get as much satisfaction out of finding a matched pair as shooting a buck
Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the force. Don't fight it, but surrender to it! Seriously, call it passion or obsession, there is nothing better than finding something in your life that brings you happiness.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 AM

oakcreek.....I've heard a lot of guys talking about shed hunting. I have never done this. What advice can you give to greaten my odds of finding sheds....there is a LOT of woods out there to find a shed or two...( kinda like finding that needle in a haystack isn't it?)
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 AM

If you can find areas where the deer have been feeding in fields oreven along fencelinescrossings find some deer trails and start following them don't worry about spooking the deer they seem to know when they are not hunted just don't follow them. When looking for sheds open fields use binos. and don't start looking to far i will focus mine in close and just scan the area thats in focus then increase the distance. If you on deer trails then my best advice is not to look to far and don't go to fast and always look back somtimes the blend in enough that from a different angle you will see them. Right now we have 20" of snow so the may only be just poking out by a inch or two your binos can work quite well in the bush. Lookon hillsides where it's sunny check areas where they bedand don't stop looking it's very rewarding are plus you find new areas to hang stands see trails that you woudn't normaly
Usually if a mature buck drops one side the other should be with in 200 yards or less i have found multiple sheds right on top of each other.
Good luck and keep hunting