Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkey Broadhead ?

This is the one i have pondered on getting, looks like a great head for the situation (turkey hunting)
ORIGINAL: buckeyehntr5

Here is the Gobbler Getter

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jackflap
This is true, but a DEAD turkey and a DEAD RECOVERED turkey are two different things. Turkeys tend to leave very little if any blood trail and I want something that is going to knock them down and hopefuly leave an arrow in them.
This is very well stated, and I agree fully.

The Gobbler Getter which is mentioned in this thread, is by far the best braodhead for turkeys, imo.
Again, totally agree with you, and will be using a GG for the third year if a broadhead bug doesn't bite me, like it usually does.

If you are serious about killing AND recovering a bird, you need to reduce your bow poundage to the minimum so as to REDUCE penetration and you will therefore need to re-sight anyway.
This is where we disagree, only a little. Last year, on a spring turkey I used a GG. I shot him at 6 STEPS, about 3 yards. I was using a Hoyt Trykon at 72 lbs. The arrow tipped with a GG STUCK into the bird, knocked him down. He ran 5 yards and expired. I do not think you need to reduce your poundage while using a GG, I could be wrong, but I know NOBODY at any poundage that has gotten a COMPLETE pass through. This is why I love the GG.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the GG was for head, neck shots!! are you talking body shots with it?? I can see where it would not pass through the body with all the surface area of the blading.
ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

This is true, but a DEAD turkey and a DEAD RECOVERED turkey are two different things. Turkeys tend to leave very little if any blood trail and I want something that is going to knock them down and hopefuly leave an arrow in them.

The Gobbler Getter which is mentioned in this thread, is by far the best braodhead for turkeys, imo.
Again, totally agree with you, and will be using a GG for the third year if a broadhead bug doesn't bite me, like it usually does.

If you are serious about killing AND recovering a bird, you need to reduce your bow poundage to the minimum so as to REDUCE penetration and you will therefore need to re-sight anyway.
This is where we disagree, only a little. Last year, on a spring turkey I used a GG. I shot him at 6 STEPS, about 3 yards. I was using a Hoyt Trykon at 72 lbs. The arrow tipped with a GG STUCK into the bird, knocked him down. He ran 5 yards and expired. I do not think you need to reduce your poundage while using a GG, I could be wrong, but I know NOBODY at any poundage that has gotten a COMPLETE pass through. This is why I love the GG.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I thought the GG was for head, neck shots!! are you talking body shots with it?? I can see where it would not pass through the body with all the surface area of the blading.

The GG is/was not designed for head shots!

Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I've shot my first one, neck area near the beard at 15 yards, no pass through, dropped dead. Last year body shot with gg half pass though at as stated, ~3 yards, half pass through, dead five yards away. So yes, I've taken a body shots.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

im surprised i have not heard this before Im not trying to start something, i just like to know thanks guys!!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Understood.

But I ask this...

What would the dif be between cranking down your bow and using a GG body shot. The end result is the same. The blades cut a hole. You get extreme penetration, just not a pass through. Anyone else use GG with body shots, I could be using them "wrong" but have 100% success with them.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Understood.

But I ask this...

What would the dif be between cranking down your bow and using a GG body shot. The end result is the same. The blades cut a hole. You get extreme penetration, just not a pass through. Anyone else use GG with body shots, I could be using them "wrong" but have 100% success with them.
Kyle, you are using them correct. They are intended for Body shots and as you already know they work rather well

Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot my '07 bird with a NAP Spitfire.

Same concept. MASSIVE damage. 10yd recovery. Pass thru.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.