Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's cut the crap......I'm cold! >

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

that heater body suit they have in all the mags might work. here's the link www.heaterbodysuit.com Make sure you don't have to many layers. Personally I only wear thermal underwear and my coat and bibs. Something about better circulation keeping you warm. I don't know but it works for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Spike

I'm from just out west of Chicago. Maybe not the coldest place, but it can get pretty rough. So for what it's worth:

-You seem to have quite a few layers on. Are they too tight? If so, that's no good. Your clothes should be loose to hold a layer of air around you.

-Are some of those layers cotton? You shouldn't wear any, synthetics or wool are the only options. Cotton holds water and can make you freeze.

- The hardest time to stay warm is when you are stationary like when you're sitting in a deerstand.Clothes that kept you warm when you were moving might not when you sit still.

-A good layer of protection on your head and neck is very important. You lose more heat from these areas than anywhere else. A good wool hat and a gaiter around your neck could change everything if you haven't been protecting these areas.

- A wind proof layer can also make a big difference. Wind cutting through your clothes will carry off all your heat.

- Your boots should be loose too. Tight boots will freeze your feet. Back in the old days, railroad workers wore those black rubber boots with thebig clasps on them all winter long. The kind we wore as kids, that are meant to go over your shoes. Those are just cheap bootsbut if you got big ones that lefta layer of air around yourfeet, they kept you warm.You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars, you need to keep your boots loose and your head protected.

- Don't sweat up on the way to your stand or the water evaporating will keep stealing heat from you as you sit. Attach your coat to your pack as you walk and only put it on when you get there.

- Two thin layers are usually better than one thick one. This is the idea of layering, although I have used some heavy garments that held a lot of air and were very warm.

- When it gets cold and windy I wear two layers of wool underwear under an insulated outer layer. The kind that is like terry cloth is the best long underwear made in my opinion. Some wool smells like a manegy dog when it gets wet. I think the Justin Charles stuff is like that for some reason. The stuff from Ullfrotte ismade like terry cloth, is very warm,and doesn't smell. I am going to start carrying their products, probably this season but you can find it on a number of sites till then.

- I think the warmest outer layers are a coat and bibs rather than coveralls. With a coat and bibs you end up with a double layer on your midriff. Also, your outer layer needs to block the wind.

Well, the season is over here in Illinois. I'm jealous that you're still out there. So stay warm and good hunting!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

And I know 30 degrees isn't cold to most of you, but that is dang cold for here!
LOL DC Back in Nov we were praying for the 30's to kick up the rut a little. That's warm for us now.

Layering is where it's at. If there is one bad ass outside layer, I've never found it.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM

I usually wear thermal underwear and my insulated pants that are wind and water proof. And for my upper body i were light t-shirt then put my kidney belt on with 2 large hot hand packs in then my scent lock and then the inside layer of my rocky 2 piece parka along with mywool hat drop in a couple ofhot hands into my gloves i use the boot ones with the sticky side and put them on top of my hand rather than in my palm usally can sit for most of the day just change out warmers in my gloves and dry socks if needed i wear 1000 gram high-top boots to keep my feet warm
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double Creek,

You didn't mention if there was much wind. I find I can layer and be ok at 10 degrees or so most of the day. I carry those hamdwarmers and use them alot. However, if I get a little wind i get cold much faster. So I may only last half as long or even less even in warmer weather 20-30 degrees. If you can block the wind off you it helps a bunch. Wet weather gear usualy works pretty good for the outside.

JMHO

Good luck.

Jason
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM

I found something in a Cabelas catalog a few years back that for some reason I haven't bought yet... A heated vest. I take advantage of the heated socks I bought two years ago, and now they have it in a vest. Wear that as a middle layer and I can't see someone freezing out. Seems to me it was right around $70.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Once it gets cold I keep an insulated one piece shuit in my pack & an insulated bib overalls plus an XX large cammo sweatshirt.
I'll wear regular cotton thermals under insulated pants & a tee shirt plus an insulated flannel shirt with a hood, the hoods important.
Once I get to wherever I'm hunting if its over 25 or 30 & not windy I just put the suit on over my clothes. If its windy I'll pull the hood up & put on a cammo hat over it.
If its cold, under 25 or so and/or windy & nasty I put the bib on over the suit & pull on a sweatshirt mostly to cover the buttons on the straps (I'm paranoid about hooking them when I dump the string) Anyway, bundled up like that I can sit when its 10 degrees for hours & hours. Its the layers & haveing them fit right.
If its warmer out I'll skip the long johns or insulated pants/shirt but the suits a must have once its chilly. I'll wear it over shorts & a tee shirt in late fall.

If your not careful tho you can severly restrict your mobility & wont be able to shoot. I'm cheap & none of my stuff is expensive. Its Sportsmans Guide stuff but it fits well so I can move right. The bibs are huge if I'm not in the suit & the suit is just big enough for me with the stuff I mentioned.
It works excellent unless it rains. Then I go in a blind. honestly I hunt mostly from pop ups this time of year anyway.

These walked by me Friday.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two words DoubleCreek: Hot Hands! Man, I am a cold natured anyway and this cool snap we have had is tough. I however started using the Hot Hands last season when it dropped to 22deg one morning. My boots were frozen to my Summit platform.(Literally) I usually will put 2 Hot Hands handwarmers in my coat pockets (2 ea pocket), or the waist muff. I will put 2 ea Toasti Toes warmers on my socks.(1 on top and 1 on bottom) I will also put 1 ea of the Body Warmers in my Cargo pockets of my bibs. The trick to these things is to open them and just lay them out in the open for 15 to 20 minutes, then place them in your pockets or on your feet/body. This, along with layers will keep you on stand longer than you probably want to stay.

LT
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM

I like a good waterproof/windproof bib and parka. Fleece pullover, fleece pants, insulated thermal underwear. you may want to try the insulated fleece but I dont need itaccept on really cold days in TN 10 degreesor worse. Keep the clothing loose not tight to help trap air.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

just use lots of layers. I was hunting coyotes in -5 this weekend. Did not see a darned thing either...... just lots of layers, and make sure your clothes fit like they are supposefd too.

Quick Reply: Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.