Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrow Speed/Noise ??? >

Arrow Speed/Noise ???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Speed/Noise ???

Old 02-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Arrow Speed/Noise ???

I figure one of you can answer this ? I switched from a 393 grain A/C/C arrow (@ 290 fps) to a 352 grain PSE CF arrow(@308 fps).Before everyone gets out their calculator , I also adjusted my draw length out a 1/2 ".Both arrows are fletched with feathers.Both shoot very well.The PSE arrows are much noisier in flight,though.I can hear them all the way to the target,noticed some deer ducking,etc.

Is this just an adverse affect of high speed or something else ?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Speed/Noise ???

I don't know how 15 fps could make an arrow noisier. Probably more a function of going from a high quality, high grade arrow to a phbbbt grade arrow.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard different arrows make different sounds from different fletching types. Try and refletch them so their the same as your A/C/C's and see if theres a difference.

>>>---Doug--->
Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 PM

When I shot vanes I noticed a lot of difference in noise levels with different brands and thicknesses .Do feathers have different sounds based on construction or maker ? If so what brand do you like?
Old 02-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't really noticed a big difference in sound with what brand of feather , but I've noticed a difference in what type of fletching you have. The more helical I put on my flethings the noisier they are.

>>>---Doug--->
Old 02-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

You'll get a little more noise from your bow with the lighter arrow. How much depends on the difference and different bows are shall we say different, one more time.

P.S. Have someone stand behind you with the two different arrows and shoot at 30 yards or more so they can see them fly. You may think they're flying the same... but they may not be. Someone else standing slight off to the side behind you may see something you don't. It doesn't mean they may not group fairly well.

Edited by - davidmil on 02/03/2003 20:10:14
Old 02-03-2003, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I may have figured it out. The bow is not noisy.The arrows shoot perfect through paper and group excellent.The helical is roughly the same ,I really can't visibly see a difference. But the quality of the fletching job is a lot different. The A/C/C's were fletched at a pro-shop and the PSE's are factory fletched .The PSE's have very little adhesive and many are bonded turned up so that the flat portion that should be bonding against the shaft is turned up slightly.Some only half or less of the flat portion is contacting the shaft.There are also gaps where you can see daylight between where the front of the fletch is bonded and the back is bonded ,but not bonded in the middle.