Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Use your pins for Ranging >

Use your pins for Ranging

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Use your pins for Ranging

Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Use your pins for Ranging

I use 5 pins in my setup. First pin at 15yrds and one at every 10yrds up. First of last season durring practice I put my bottom pin on the deer targets belly and where ever the deers back crossed thru the sight window, I moved that point to the kill zone (if a pin was at its back, I used that pin, if it was between two pins, I put one above and one below) and it has been DEAD ON everywhere I've move the target. A deer is apx. 20 to 26 inches from belly to back and six deer this year have been the results of using this method. I draw, focus on the deer, pin spot the belly (with the bottom pin), locate the killer pin, and cut loose. Does this make sense to anyone else?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Use your pins for Ranging

It sort of makes sense to me, but I use a range finder. I range the trees or "land marks' around me, I know that distance. So when the deer gets there I know what pin to use.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

If it worked for you thats a pretty quick yardage system. But what if the deer is more than slightly quartering away, or not broadside enough to get in that sight window? I guess you wouldn't take any 55yd. shots either since that pin couldn't be on its belly and intersecting its back at the same time. For the average 20, 30 maybe even 40yd shot though that would be a cool system.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

It sort of makes sense to me, but I use a range finder. I range the trees or "land marks' around me, I know that distance. So when the deer gets there I know what pin to use.
x2 sounds like a sweet way of ranging for ya though
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont understand what your saying....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, sounds like a badshot in the making. I like to range things around me to be sure
Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly the same principle as using one of these old fashioned (Lordy I'm gettin' old! [:-]) sights with stadia range finders. They used the depth of a deer's chest as a reference too.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Exactly the same principle as using one of these old fashioned (Lordy I'm gettin' old! [:-]) sights with stadia range finders. They used the depth of a deer's chest as a reference too.

Oh, you're not that old Arthur. I remember these things. I still have one in an archery box downstairs somewhere!