Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oldest deer ever harvested?? >

Oldest deer ever harvested??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oldest deer ever harvested??

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Oldest deer ever harvested??

I read an article in D&D Hunting that said the oldest deer ever shot was in Alabama, 23 yr old buck!!! Second was a 21 yr old doe!!! Can't remember where the does was. They said in the article that there is really no such thing as a dry doe, rare to see a doe that cannot reproduce. Who knew?? Not me!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Oldest deer ever harvested??

I don't know If I agree with the dry doe part these folks are implying on. My dad lives in Northern Minnesota, they feed the deer corn every winter in a big bird bath about 10 yards from the house. (Its really neat watching them this close). Anyway they have a doe thats been coming in for 17 years straight now. She don't have a tail so thats how they know its her. Dad told me that she hasn't had a fawn now for at least 5 years. When these old doe's get old, allot of times I don't think they have any fawns. I'm guessing they still get bred but I think all of the energy goes into keeping themselves fit, thus they never have the fawn. In the Northern States I think it fits better with what I said because of the harsh winters.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I don't know If I agree with the dry doe part these folks are implying on. My dad lives in Northern Minnesota, they feed the deer corn every winter in a big bird bath about 10 yards from the house. (Its really neat watching them this close). Anyway they have a doe thats been coming in for 17 years straight now. She don't have a tail so thats how they know its her. Dad told me that she hasn't had a fawn now for at least 5 years. When these old doe's get old, allot of times I don't think they have any fawns. I'm guessing they still get bred but I think all of the energy goes into keeping themselves fit, thus they never have the fawn. In the Northern States I think it fits better with what I said because of the harsh winters.
I guess "no more tail" means "no more tail"??
Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 PM

That's amazing, a doe can live 17+ years up in your harsh climate. Do you think she would make all these winters if your dad wasn't feeding her?

I was watching the QDMA show that featured a buck they raised in high fence captivity with all the best supplemental feed and documented it's antler growth. It lived til 12 and died of a bone disease.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Maybe Schultz, I always thought that a doe got too old to breed at some point..
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldest buck may be this years, still waiting to hear back.. 8-10 was the estimate..
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I was always under the impression that their life expectancy was around 12 yrs.

That's amazing......23 yrs.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't know they could live that long ? a buddy of mine got a buck thus year that the state said it was about 12 1/2 because the teeth were so worn down and that it was one of the oldest they had seen. they felt he did it a favor because they said it probably wouldn't make it through the winter
Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 PM

I shot a doe in central pennsylvania about 3-4 years ago that was aged by a game commission biologist that was aged at 6 1/2yrs old. Here in PA they don't get to live that long in the wild. She did have a young deer with her when I shot her though. I wish I would have gotten her jaw bone but it was an afterthought and never did get it.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do they know that was the oldest deer ever killed???

Might have been the oldest ever recorded...Seems there were some pretty good deer hunters here before we were......

Quick Reply: Oldest deer ever harvested??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.