Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quick question

Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: quick question

ORIGINAL: philip_grubaugh

my buddy shot a fawn with his matthews drenaline on sunday night. I didn't actually see this but he said that he had hit it right behind the front shoulders. he said it was almost perfect from what he could tell. He told me that on the arrow tho there was not a lot of blood. he left the deer over night and then had to go to work. so he figured 18 hrs the deer should be dead. well he walked with in 10 yds of it and he said that the deer was still alive and he could see the hole in its side. He then said that he went around to slit its throat and it jumped up and ran off. his dad was there and saw this too. they have killeda lot of deer with a bow so they are not new to this. do you know what he could of hit or what might have happened as to what he didnt hit that the deer would still be alive 18 hrs later. please let me know your thoughts.
just another reason to shoot them again and not slit their throat!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM

yeah like i said i wasn't there. so i am not really sure tho. he said that he saw the hole and it was right behind the shoulder and he has new muzzy broad heads so i am not real sure. i thought maybe he went shot high too but he said thehole was 2/3 down the body so i am not real sure. i also thought maybe tho he just some how missed all the vitals. to the guy who asked why shot the fawn. we are not proud with our bows we shoot what we can. any deer with a bow is a trophy.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

any update on the deer...did he find it?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:40 PM

nah he didn't find it. he said that it didn't bleed any after they jumped it and that they never did find anytihing in the direction that it went
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen some strange things happen,Bowhunting for 40 years and nothing really surprises me.

On the Deer found the explanation is usually evident

On those not found all you can do is speculate

Dan
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Spike

I'm the guy who shot the deer.

I didn't see the question about why shoot a fawn, but anyhow I had a huge doe and two fawns standing in front of me. The doe will probably have twins again next year so I decided to take a fawn. We eat all the deer that we kill and fawns taste the best. Simple answer for a simple question.

For the guy who asked why I didn't shoot the deer with my bow again. Well I took for granted that the deer would be dead after 18 hours. Right after I shot it, it ran off about 60 yards and started gagging and coughing up blood so I figured I hit one lung. There was bubbly blood everywhere where the deer was coughing. I shot a buck that did the same thing a few years ago and he died pretty fast. That is what happens when you take something for granted.

The green is where I seen the arrow enter on the left side. The red spot is where I seen the wound from 10 yards away when I jumped it up while tracking. I thought for sure that this would be a lethal hit, even if it was just a liver/ponch shot. I've hit deer in this exact same spot before and they died fast.

The day before I shot a small 7 pt buck that was quartering severely. I went through his guts and only got one lung. He went out and bedded 60 yards away so I just backed out and came 8 hours later. He was laying in the same spot I last seen him. I know when I need to back off and let them die, that's why I gave the doe a day and a half and figured she would for sure be dead after watching her cough up blood like that.

I guessed wrong and screwed myself by not taking the bow with me while tracking. Lesson learned the hard way. It sure would of been nice to take 3 deer with my bow this year, but two was my goal and I accomplished that so I'm still very happy.