Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Euro Mount Help..... >

Euro Mount Help.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Euro Mount Help.....

Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Euro Mount Help.....

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I did alot of research before I did my Euro mount. The one thing most taxidermists said was to NEVER bleach a skull. Bleaching a skull is bad for it, and too much bleaching can turn it powdery and flaky.

To get it nice and white, I'd soak it in a hydrogen peroxide solution (20% solution from a beauty supply shop is best. You can use the 3% stuff from Walmart but it takes longer to work).

Place the skull in the peroxide, keeping the antlers out of it. Wet paper towels with the peroxide solution and lay them over the top of the skull. Keep the paper towel wet.

For the antlers, I'd use regular wood stain at the bases to give them that dark look. Or you can buy antler stain from a taxidermist. Wood stain works fine though.

If you are totally lazy like me, you can just spray paint it with a low gloss textured white paint. I did this on mine and it turned out fine. The textured surface looked very "bony" and natural.

Great looking euro! That's what I'm after....

I realy like the contrast between the white skull and the dark antlers. I also plan on painting the skull but I'm not sure if I should go with gloss or flat paint.

Did you do anything to the anlters?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Atlas, i like that did you do that??
ORIGINAL: atlasman

How's this??

Nah........I just found the pic and thought it looked cool.

I did see a bunch of guys painting stuff like dates and pics of crossing arrows and stuff on them last year at the outdoors shows though........that was cool too.

Saw another dipped in bronze and that was sweet.

Here is a pic of a dipped metal one for ya big guy.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think those metalized skulls are some of the COOLEST looking things ever made.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, that metal is wild! very cool..
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it really metal, or is it just metallic paint?

If you knew somebody who had a good paintgun - you could probably get a mix of your favorite color automotive paint - and do it to match your car.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a place that actually deposits metal to the skull. (and in my former line of work, I used that application (metal deposition) in a different manufacturing industry) I had always wondered if metallic paint would give similar results.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Id suggest to clean it with dish washing soap and water, then spraying it with Kils primer. Ive got some that are over 10 years old that look as good as the day I did them. Kils will soak into the bone and seal it. Keeps it from discoloring and keeps it looking like dried bleached bone.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some great ideas given here and some great looking Euro's.That metal dipping or painting is very cool! I will have one done or do one like that myself in the future.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Id suggest to clean it with dish washing soap and water, then spraying it with Kils primer. Ive got some that are over 10 years old that look as good as the day I did them. Kils will soak into the bone and seal it. Keeps it from discoloring and keeps it looking like dried bleached bone.
Burnie,

Do you need to paint over the Kils primer or is that the only paint you use....just primer?

Thanks all for the suggestions.......One more question, should I have the nose repaired or leave it like it is. It was broken some 10 years ago in a fall and I kinda glued it back together.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Site Bouncer

Any more suggestions???? Anybody?

Quick Reply: Euro Mount Help.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.