Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
help the newbie... >

help the newbie...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help the newbie...

Old 02-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default help the newbie...

I'm the newbie that needs the help. I just bought a PSE Whitetail Extreme which people said would be a good combination between a starter bow and a good bow for when I knew what I was doing. So I have just a few questions for my web-able archery experts:

1-) What type of silencers should I use?

2-) What I've already noticed is my arrow wrest is loud on the draw, what would people recommend for that?

3-) Favorite arrows? Carbon/Aliminum?

My draw weight is 60# and my draw length is 27" if that helps in the answer at all. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:35 PM

Default RE: help the newbie...

FIRST THINGS FIRST WHAT SIZE ARROW ARE YOU USING? YOU NEED TO BE SURE OF ARROW SPINE IF ARROW IS TO LITE IT WOULD MAKE A LOT OF NOISE AND THEY HAVE TO BE RIGHT LENGTH.THE ARROWS THE CHART CALL FOR ARE 2215 OR 2117. AS FOR ARROW RESTS SOME CAN BE QUITED DOWN AND SOME YOU JUST NEED TO REPLACE. BUT BE SURE YOUR BOW IS IN TUNE. TRY PAPPER TUNEING IT. TO BE SURE THING ARE WORKING TOGATHER.
LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU CAN CONTACT ME THROUGH MY WEB PAGE @ yeoldearcheryshoppe.com HOPE THIS HELPS.
JERRY HUFF

Old 02-02-2003, 06:49 PM

As for noise the first thing to do is to make sure all the bolts are tight.

Silencers - Don't use the cloth string silencers. They can absorb water. Slows arrow speed. After that I'd try stuff and see what works on your bow.

Use carbon arrows. They're faster AND they never bend. They're either straight or broken. Nothing like trying to sight your bow in and have a bent aluminum arrow giving you a flyer in every grouping.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:59 PM

OK, first off use cat whiskers. They dont loose as much speed as people say they do. Actually i didnt loose any speed. Leeches are good but u have to change them. The rest, if its for the draw that makes noise, put mole skin on the fins(assuming its a TM style rest). And, shoot carbons. enough said. as for what kind, thats kind of a preference. I shot three different types before settling on some, and im gettin ready to switch again. Try Bemans. And another thing, use feathers. Theres so many advantages that outweigh the disadvantages. Plus, they look cool. (in case you havnt figured out, bowhunting is all about the look. We never shoot anything, we just say we do to make us LOOK even better. LOL, jk) Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Things that will help silence a bow are making sure all bolts on the bow are tight. If you can, shooting the bow at the peak weight will make the bow more quiet and more efficent. Put mole skin under the accessories where they attach to the bow. Put mole skin on the forks of the rest or use fork tamers and place rubber or mole skin where the rest contacts the bracket to stop it's rotation. Use string leeches or cat wiskers on the string and cables. Use Limbsavers on the limbs. Get a good "active" stabilizer like Golden keys or Stealth.
As far as arrows go it's a personal preferance to use carbon or alluminum. I personally like carbons cause they are much stronger than alluminum and as stated above they are either straight or broke.

One more thing, save yourself some tuning frustration and don't worry about getting it perfect until you shoot the bow 200 or 300 times to let the string strech and "set in".
Old 02-03-2003, 11:26 AM

A little mole skin on your rest goes along way for quieting it on the draw. The others guys have given good advice on quieting the bow.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]