Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Played like a violin >

Played like a violin

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Played like a violin

Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Played like a violin

This morning I went hunting at my dads farm. My season is over this Thursday and this was likely my last morning hunt of the year.I was a little late getting to the woods (overslept) and was in a rush to get to my ground blind. I was about to enter the woods andsaw 5 deer about 400 yards due west of me heading into the timber. I think I know where they are headed, so I ditch the ground blind and high tail it to a logging road that they are sure to cross. I'm set up (on the ground)and less than 5 minutes later, 3 deer come from the east ( same direction I came from [&:]) and are making their way past me. I slowly turn and draw my bow as I see the first buck nearing my shooting lane at 20 yards. He's a 80" 7 pt that I have let walk 3 times already this year. He keeps going, not even noticing me at full draw. Next is a doe, she sees me...does the head nod, and slowly walks through the lane. This is where my season all goes to crap.[>:]Next deer is trailing behind the others, walking slowly. I see him at about 30 yards headed towards my lane. He's a STUD! 10pt, looked to be 145-150 inch deer. I'm STILL at full draw lol. He makes his way to my opening, I can see his head and neck through the peep waiting for that last step to shoot..........and the doe snorts.[:@]Heturns and runs for what seemed like 10 miles.Hunt over, deer running everywhere. I'm assuming she caught my scent, I hadn't moved, unless she saw my legs shaking while waiting on the 10 pt LOL. Deer won this morning, this evening may be a different story.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Played like a violin

even though you went home empyt handed, would you trade that experience in for not seeing anything?

That is what makes hunting fun, the moments like that.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, after about 20 near misses/coulda/woulda/shoulda's this season....I don't know [8D]. Some years you catch all the breaks, this hasn't been one of those years for me.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Ahh, but it's still better than workin'!! Think of all the things you "learned" this year. All those "...misses/coulda/woulda/shoulda's this season.." will make you a better hunter if you know how to use the information. Good luck the remainder of this season and to a bettereducated next year!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

To catch a good glimpse of 150 is excellent any time of year, expecially this late.

He'll be a 165 for you next year!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that is a tough one. Bittersweet for sure, to have an experience like that this late in the season, but to add it to a list of close calls can be frustrating.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stay after 'em Dave!

Tough break, but keep your head up. You know there's a big boy lurking - play your cards right and he might make one last mistake.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Honestly, after about 20 near misses/coulda/woulda/shoulda's this season....I don't know [8D]. Some years you catch all the breaks, this hasn't been one of those years for me.
but you learned something each time to make you more effective right? In the long run you are better for it...and yes, he will be bigger next year!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a great experience to me.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

This morning I went hunting at my dads farm. My season is over this Thursday and this was likely my last morning hunt of the year.I was a little late getting to the woods (overslept) and was in a rush to get to my ground blind. I was about to enter the woods andsaw 5 deer about 400 yards due west of me heading into the timber. I think I know where they are headed, so I ditch the ground blind and high tail it to a logging road that they are sure to cross. I'm set up (on the ground)and less than 5 minutes later, 3 deer come from the east ( same direction I came from [&:]) and are making their way past me. I slowly turn and draw my bow as I see the first buck nearing my shooting lane at 20 yards. He's a 80" 7 pt that I have let walk 3 times already this year. He keeps going, not even noticing me at full draw. Next is a doe, she sees me...does the head nod, and slowly walks through the lane. This is where my season all goes to crap.[>:]Next deer is trailing behind the others, walking slowly. I see him at about 30 yards headed towards my lane. He's a STUD! 10pt, looked to be 145-150 inch deer. I'm STILL at full draw lol. He makes his way to my opening, I can see his head and neck through the peep waiting for that last step to shoot..........and the doe snorts.[:@]Heturns and runs for what seemed like 10 miles.Hunt over, deer running everywhere. I'm assuming she caught my scent, I hadn't moved, unless she saw my legs shaking while waiting on the 10 pt LOL. Deer won this morning, this evening may be a different story.
This same thing has happened to me countless times. So many times I've had a P@Y buck coming down the trail chasing a doe and she catches my wind or she guesses something isn't right and heads off in another direction taking the buck with her. These doe's have saved allot of the big boys from getting shot! I feel your pain buttonbuck!

Quick Reply: Played like a violin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.