Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 time for a name change?? >

time for a name change??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

time for a name change??

Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default time for a name change??

i know this isnt bowhunting, but this is where i call home...

1-4-07 i was hunting with the flintlock. last drive of the day i had a small buck and doe get by on my right, then 2 more doe...not long after there is atleast 12 deer infront of me between me and the other kid with a flintlock..i quickly spotted 2 more small yearlings coming down the right across the creek like the other 4 did..thought they would follow the same path as the other 4, but they didnt. instead of crossing 50yds behind my, they crossed the creek and climbed the bank 15 yards infront of me. i was hiding behind a big oak tree and got the hammer back while they were climbing the bank...they were running straight at me...i set the hair trigger and they froze...made sure neither had antlers (would made it illegal for me..) and touched off the trigger with the bead on the white patch on the neck. it was looking dead at me...

when the smoke cleared, my trophy was laying on the ground 10yds away from me!!!

shot was perfect...dead center of the neck took out the arteries and took out the backbone and spine..i quickly realized that i probably shouldnt have taken that shot with the flintlock, i was in rifle hunting mode and got caught in the heat of the moment and was quick to thank that the shot worked well...with the rifle i would had no problem taking that shot, but with a flintlock and a roundball, i know i probably shouldnt have...glad it worked out for me...

turned out to be a button buck. i knew they were both yearlings, but when i saw 2 together i figured they were both does...at a quick glance i didnt notice the buttons..and am used to buttons being alone this time of year...

the deer were taken in a similar area that my buddy found that shed in my other post..different farm surrounding the same park. that same drive the drivers told us they had a buck get behind them that was probably 20" wide but thinner than the shed they found...just might have to look into bowhunting out there. the number of deer is amazing..i couldnt imagine how many more are in the park...

been an awesome year for me. my first bowkill buck ever...and now my first deer with the flintlock. got the hide salted and fleshed as good as i could do at home and am waiting on 2 coon hides to dry out some and am getting the hide tanned. think that was deer #12 for me..

thought i would share with you guys since this is where i spend most of my time...if you wanna move it or delete it, it wont hurt my feelings...its already in the ML forum..

poor Mauser(actual rifle) is bored and lonely in the closet...i dont know what i like more...letting loose an arrow, or making smoke with the rocklock...i love hunting with both...and will continue to do so...just something about watching an arrow fly and making smoke with a flintlock rifle...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: time for a name change??

After being here for a while I changed my name from txrookie to what it is now. The rookie part just didn't apply to me any more. So I could understand your desire to change. BTW, nice lookin' smokepole!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats is cool mauser. Ten yards with a flintlock, that is something to be proud of!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice job

Change away, that MO does not look to bad. For some reason I thought it was too dark. Looks good, I think that suit is 2 for 2 now
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

What are you going to change it to? Flinthead?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a great trophy! I look at the Flintlock the same as bowhunting but with 20 extra yards in range!!!! I see no problem with the shot placement, a patched round ball is very deadly and they way to go if using a Flintlock!!!!!!! I would take that shot any day at that yardage any day!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot guys...its been a good season...just had a steak from my bow buck for lunch..realized that its almost gone and i havent had much other than a piece of kilbasi and a piece of sausage...cant complain..i do the work, dad pays the butcher...he eats most of it lol...i should make him pay me for skinning and quartering. id do it myself if dad didnt request kilbasi and sausage be made..

not going to change the name...Mauser06 is still me...i dont wanna confuse people, and im Mauser06 on other forums...though Mauser06 isnt very suiting anymore huh?? the Mauser was the first rifle i bought with my own cash when i was 13...thats where my name comes from...and it will be a rifle that i always own...even if it does sit in the closet...

germ, the MO does look pretty good up against that tree and even with the background...thats my lucky suit! might have been the first time i worn it since i killed my buck actually...i love that suit...that coat is awesome...even if i do keep loosing stuff because theres 20+ pockets time to put it away till next year...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done, Mauser, Great season.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

cool. i love to get close
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the year you've had.......a couple of years ago when I had a year like you, I changed my name from .308hunter to what it is now.