Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Location--Location--Location >

Location--Location--Location

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Location--Location--Location

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Location--Location--Location

But what if you really are the best in the world? [8D]
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

In some places, such as east Tx, finding a place that is private land and not having to pay lease fees is about impossible. If you are not family or a close friend it just isn't going to happen. I have managed to get one new place that belongs to a familyfriend. I'm still looking for more land and I expect to be paying for it.
And that situation is one of the things I feel bad for people the most. I really don't comprehend it and I feel bad for those faced with that dillema. But I don't want to hijack this into a lease/no lease thread.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to hibernate..someone wake me for Contest Sign-ups 08.

It's gonna be a long off-season!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The acceptance of reality can be difficult for some,myself included! I have spent a lot of time wishing things were different in my area.Realistically I have to travel an hour to an hour and a half to get into "better area's".Obtaining permission if not public land becomes much more of an effort,scouting an area becomes that much more impractical as it relates to time considerations and fitting in the other important area's of your life such as family time,working etc..We all can do better it is just a matter of how much time we can devote to it and what are the trade off's.I am very close to making the plunge to hunt greater distances away,I wont be able to hunt as much but the quality of the hunting should be significantly better.
The reason I love my out of state hunt every year is that I know for at least ten straight days I will be hunting in area's that at any given time I can see a truly great animal.No distractions just complete focus on hunting hard.At home I don't have that luxury,I work it in around family and business.I had about 85 hours of hunting in at home between archery and rifle.I saw 6 bucks with the best being maybe 100 inches.
For those that have exceptional hunting within short distances to home you are truly fortunate! I will never forget a conversation I had with Troy (shed33) when I was at his home a couple of years ago,he said "Scot I couldn't live there" I would have to move,and he meant it and I knew he meant it.If I was just starting out I would be in game rich area's in the blink of an eye,I would base my entire career and life around myhunting interests.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Honestly, I think there is to much insecurity around here!
I don't know so much if it is insecurity as much as passion. We are all so passionate about hunting that when we aren't in the woods we are on the computer here talking about it. With a passion that strong for anything it brings out the best and the worst in us. Unfortunately the best is put to use in the woods, leaving the worst for our keyboards.

Anyone that argues that location is not important is either foolish or ignorant. Here in PA the majority of the state struggles to see deer that are 100" or over. I've been fortunate in that the places I've lived (SE & SW) it is not out of the realm of possiblity to have a realistic shot at a 140" every year if you have the right property to hunt.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

But what if you really are the best in the world? [8D]
I'm glad you asked. It isn't all it is cracked up to be
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Site Buck Guru

Location does mean a lot. However it doesn't mean everything.

Did you all know that everyone who hunts in Pike Co.Ill, does not kill a P&Y? [:-]

It must have something to do with knowing your quarry and there is the luck factor as well.

I wouldn't want to be a guide for my hunting area because usually the hunts are 6 days long. I couldn't gaurantee which 6 days someone would see a big buck. I must be a bit slow at times because it sometimes takes me the whole season to get one. Some seasons I don't.

Location does not gaurantee you a big buck every season, you also have to work for it. The big bucks didn't get big by being easy to spot.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you worded what we all think about (especially those who might not admit it) superbly well Atlas. Sometimes you really have a way with words.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Greg you are right. Big bucks no matter where they are, have noses and eyes and ears, they use them the same as every deer anywhere!! I think what some of us are saying, myself included, is that you first have to have big bucks to find before you can go after them. You are not stupid, you make sure you hunt places that carry big bucks, as I do as well, the difference in you and me, you are better than me. I have not reached the top of my game by far. I have lots of big bucks running around my properties, got some with the gun, still waiting and working for the arrow to pass through one. Location is key, but you still have to hunt em and figure them out, noone on here has said that it will fall in your lap if you huntthose spots, Im a prime example.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Atlasman:

FINALLY....a dialogue. And PLEASE, please don't take this the wrong way.....but the difference is...yours WAS a gun kill!....lol

If where I hunt is the "suburbs"......I'd hate to see some "country" I have myself (to your defense) called what I do "suburban" deer hunting. So....understandable was your assertion.

It's all about perceived accomplishment........I didn't care for your qualifying of my deer this year as a "gun kill" anymore then you cared for my reference to yours as a "suburbs kill". We all know how hard we have to work for our kills and any perceived attempt to lessen that feat is usually not taken well.
We are just as guilty on this side of the fence.............some feel slighted to varying degrees when their 100" 3.5 year old bucks receive less fanfare then the 130"-140" shot in other areas........even though they are both what is considered a "good deer" for each area.
To be 100% honest...."I" have never felt this way. People who know where I hunt and the herd around these parts know what a "good" deer is, HERE. What gets me is when people from afar thin Im just making this stuff up! A 100' deer is as good (+/-10") as I've ever seen on the hoof, here. Gospel.

I can say with little doubt in my mind that if I hunted the corn belt I would not feel too good about guys on the east coast implying the only reason I bag big deer is where I live..........because the opposite is certainly true.
Again...."IF" that were the case....I'd feel slighted, too. I've NEVER said anything other than (just as you haven't) there are MORE big deer in certain pars of the country. That ain't rocket science.

I've commended your season on several counts. I've done so in the past....stating much of what you said in your original post. You had a great season.....but that diminishes NOT your previous ones. You hunted hard for what you got.....and you took what YOUR woods gave you.

Kudos.

Quick Reply: Location--Location--Location

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.