Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 starting a hunting club >

starting a hunting club

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

starting a hunting club

Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default starting a hunting club

Ok I have a friend who won’t to buy some hunting land and am thinking about a club.
Not an outfitter but a yearly payment club.

He does not wont to do this to make money just get some people to pay in to pay for the development a lodge and help with the land cost.

HE asked me how to do it.
My first thought was since he did not won’t to make money would be a nonprofit since he would not have to pay taxes on it and so on.

Then I thought about a LLC. But I had a guy tell me with a LLC. You must be doing business which I think he might fall under but not sure.

How would you do it he won’t to protect himself and the club from a lawsuit and the other problem with something like you would be forced to deal with aclub.

Would you own the land and justhave people pay dues for the hunting or what. Also how much would you charge for the first few years why you get start.
Also how many acres of land per hunter would you wont?
And what rules would you post.
We thought about rack size resections.
Would you allow them to bring guest if so how many and how often.
I thought about like one day a week where a person could bring some on out of there wife or husband and kids to take a management buck or doe.

Anything I forgot feel free to add.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:51 AM

Default RE: starting a hunting club

Depends on a lot of factors. Budget, State laws, time you have, ect. You and your buddy need to really think about everything and put it on paper. You should have all of your questions answered before pursueing. You probably need to have some sort of membership to help pay for repairs and keep up...and taxes.

Live your dreams man!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like to plan everything out down to every little details

what state and federal laws would be a issue
time is no proplem i work for myself
My biggest issue is i do not know how much land to look to buy i know what to look for just not how much

would say 50 to 150 acres be enough for say 5 people.
ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

Depends on a lot of factors. Budget, State laws, time you have, ect. You and your buddy need to really think about everything and put it on paper. You should have all of your questions answered before pursueing. You probably need to have some sort of membership to help pay for repairs and keep up...and taxes.

Live your dreams man!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

If it were me, 150 acres would be no more than 3 people. At that, it would take a high $$ "dues" and a long time to pay for a lodge. I like the idea, just don't see it working in how "I" would like it. I think that more than 1 person in a 40 acre plot is asking for problems in that it will get overhunted and drive the deer out. All this changes depending on the area surrounding the land also.
Good Luck
Dandbuck
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM

I knew of a hunting club in Missouri that one of it's member got hurt on a atv will hunting and sued the club. It end up the land was sold off and the officers of the club lost every thing. If you start some thing like this make sure you have real good insurance. When you selling people a service you can really open yourself up for a law suit.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where would all the money be going???? How much would he be charging?? This cannot be a non profit org if hes charging....
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Contact an attorney that specializes in things like this.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree when you get down under say 75 your asking for it
what i recommend was kid of a outfitter deal where people come pay a small free to me under 1500 and get to stay in a lodge and hunt
if he had say 100 or 200 acres and could get a few people a year over time he could pay for the land and cost to make it good hunting land.

It shocks me people pay 3000 to 5000 or more for aguide hunt and i do not wont to just take some one out and drop them in a tree so they can just kill something, but feelings aside there is money in it
ORIGINAL: dandbuck

If it were me, 150 acres would be no more than 3 people. At that, it would take a high $$ "dues" and a long time to pay for a lodge. I like the idea, just don't see it working in how "I" would like it. I think that more than 1 person in a 40 acre plot is asking for problems in that it will get overhunted and drive the deer out. All this changes depending on the area surrounding the land also.
Good Luck
Dandbuck
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya it id differnt when you just let someone hunt for free then it is when they pay
i thought about a TRUST AND NOT A llC
ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

I knew of a hunting club in Missouri that one of it's member got hurt on a atv will hunting and sued the club. It end up the land was sold off and the officers of the club lost every thing. If you start some thing like this make sure you have real good insurance. When you selling people a service you can really open yourself up for a law suit.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you charge but put all the money in the lodge land and so on and not making money why could it not be
i have seen nonprofits charge for something to make money to pay for expences
Something i would like to do is do free hunts for the disabled military vets and
ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Where would all the money be going???? How much would he be charging?? This cannot be a non profit org if hes charging....