Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 P&Y and no buck tag >

P&Y and no buck tag

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y and no buck tag

Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default P&Y and no buck tag

Just my luck, a real nice tall tined symetrical 8 shows up 5min before end of legal light and even offers a shot. Only problem... I had no buck tag left. So, I practiced getting into position and making the motion to draw my bow undetected (actually didn't draw) and squeezed off an imaginary arrow right through both lungs. Oh well, I got what I could out of the experience. Maybe I can go through the motions again with him next year, but this time with a buck tag.

This had't've happened to some of you guys too right? Sucks and doesn't suck at the same time.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Default RE: P&Y and no buck tag

That takes a lot of good ethics. Lots of guys would have shot that deer and had someone else tag it. Because you did the legal thing, I hope he comes back next year and is twice as big!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, but with my luck his rack will probably be all broken up next time around.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year, only it was 170"-180"bruiser. Still a good experience just to be able to see an animal like that.

By the way...You better hope GMMAT doesn't see this post, he'll give you all sorts of hell for being in a tree without a tag. I guess he doesn't realize that some people don't have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt. I hope we both get a crack at these bucks next year. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

One of the risks of late doe hunting!I feel for you brother. Been there, done that.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Just my luck, a real nice tall tined symetrical 8 shows up 5min before end of legal light and even offers a shot. Only problem... I had no buck tag left. So, I practiced getting into position and making the motion to draw my bow undetected (actually didn't draw) and squeezed off an imaginary arrow right through both lungs. Oh well, I got what I could out of the experience. Maybe I can go through the motions again with him next year, but this time with a buck tag.

This had't've happened to some of you guys too right? Sucks and doesn't suck at the same time.
Yes it has and it does suck! I rattled in a 130" buck one year after I had already filled my tag shooting a doe. I was 15 years old at the time and curious about rattling, so I tried it and couldn't believe what came running to me from across the field!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

And thats why I'm taking my daughter out as much as I can until season ends. Of course if she gets one bigger than mine [:@].... LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

By the way...You better hope GMMAT doesn't see this post, he'll give you all sorts of hell for being in a tree without a tag. I guess he doesn't realize that some people don't have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt.
uhhh if that's the case I hope he does see this. LOL

btw- this guy I saw wasn't a bruiser by any means, but he is right around 130". Whatreally gets me pumpedis thathe appeared identical left to right with tall graceful tines and close to a 20" inside spread. His coat even looked like it was combed nice and neat without a single hair out of place. He was quite a majestic sight to say the least. Almost too beautiful of an animal to shoot.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Thats why I carry a camera when I'm out in the woods.