Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A father/son elk hunt >

A father/son elk hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A father/son elk hunt

Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A father/son elk hunt

I think that one of the saddest moments for a son is when he first beats his father at something and the realization that the man that he always thought was invincible is really just a human hits him like a sledge hammer. I remember the first time I beat my dad at H-O-R-S-E in the early 90’s and it still bothers me to this day. Sadly, since that day things have just continued down the inevitable slide of time, and as my father approaches 60 I know that I am watching the dusk of his hunting career approaching us. I say us because he is my only hunting partner. He has been since I was 5 and he would tie a rope around my waist and hoist me into his tiny treestand hand over hand. We barely saw anything in those days, hunting a neighbor’s farm that has since become my grandparents’. We sat in a tree not 100 yards from the tree I shot my 150” double split brow tine buck from this season. But whitetails are not my father’s passion. It is the bugle of elk that really gets his blood racing through his body and occasionally you can actually catch a glimpse of excitement in the voice of the man whose exterior is usually as hard and cold as a stone wall. He has spent a week or more chasing elk at Horse Fly Peak just outside of Montrose, Colorado for 3 decades. I have accompanied him there a number of times and have always been awed by his ability to find and get into elk. This year, knowing that his time for elk hunting is dwindling, we are not only traveling to Colorado but also to Montana to try to find a real trophy class bull. I hope only to see my dad smiling over a monster bull. One that will bring him smiles through the years that he will not be able to be my hunting partner in the mountains. And now, knowing what I do about life, I hope that I never “beat” my dad at elk hunting.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A father/son elk hunt

Excellent post! My dad is my mentor and hunting partner also! I have friends that I go hunting with but the (old man) is my only true hunting buddy! One will never replace him!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post, huntingson. My dad is also one of my only hunting partners. At 19, I can say that we have our disagreements on things, and we can get in little arguments, but when we hit the woods (or lake) we're best friends again and it overshadows all. Good luck to you two on your hunt, and I hope you BOTH can put a bull on the ground.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

This is a great post!

I have also hunted with my dad most of my life. I think the only time we haven't shared a camp together is on the weekends he was out of town on another hunt. In the 2006 season he was fighting cancer and didn't make it to deer camp very often. And when he did it was tough on him. But he wanted to be out there so bad. That was a lonely season. Most of the weekends my daughter was with me which helped. But when I was there by myself it just wasn't the same. He has bounced back though and this year he had some great hunts. But it gave me a taste of what it will be like when he is gone. It's a strange feeling that I hope is years away.

Darrall Dougherty
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Great post, huntingson. My dad is also one of my only hunting partners. At 19, I can say that we have our disagreements on things, and we can get in little arguments, but when we hit the woods (or lake) we're best friends again and it overshadows all. Good luck to you two on your hunt, and I hope you BOTH can put a bull on the ground.
Thank you very much. All I can say is that I wish I would have argued less and listened more when I was 19. It would have saved me a lot of headaches in the long run.