Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what to look for in a good deer knife >

what to look for in a good deer knife

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what to look for in a good deer knife

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what to look for in a good deer knife

OK well i bought a Remington knife this year and i do not like it.
So i plan to buy a new one next season. What should i look for in a gutting knife?
Should it have a little bend in it?
How long, how thick, and wide?
Should i go with a folding knife or fixed?
Also should it have a gut hook?
Should it be rounded or just come to a point?

The one i bought this year is hard about 5 inch's and rounded in the front with a gt hook. It also has a rubber handle.
But it is like it was never sharpened or have a edge but on it!

Also what kind of knife do i need to skin the deer with the same questions above

And how much money should i spend on one
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to look for in a good deer knife

ive seen deer gutted with pocketknives... i got a 3 in blade knife from buckmasters when i joined 3 years ago.. i can get it super sharp with my lansky.it works great.. i also have a small foldin buck knife that works well... i dont like gut hooks. ive used them i really dont see the need for them. imo...im gonna try to find a good lil fixed knife for the upcomin 08 season... i get a kick out of people who carry some huge knife to gut a deer... they do alot more cuttin an gougin(sp) than they have to..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya two months before i started hunting i bought a knife at a knife store i told the guy i wont a good gut knife. Well he shows me this knife called the big sticker i bought it. well a month later i was talking to a friend told him i bought a 50 dollar knife for gutting and showed it to him
He laughed at me . Because it is 10to 12 inch's long and 3 inchs wide. lol ya i know stupid buy for gutting.
and i can Imagen what the CO would say if i had that on my belt hunting

I did not know never hunted but oneyear when i was a kid
i was pissed.

I do not like the gut hooks and think the make the knifelook ugly
ORIGINAL: MdDave

ive seen deer gutted with pocketknives... i got a 3 in blade knife from buckmasters when i joined 3 years ago.. i can get it super sharp with my lansky.it works great.. i also have a small foldin buck knife that works well... i dont like gut hooks. ive used them i really dont see the need for them. imo...im gonna try to find a good lil fixed knife for the upcomin 08 season... i get a kick out of people who carry some huge knife to gut a deer... they do alot more cuttin an gougin(sp) than they have to..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol i think when everyone starts out they think the bigger the knife the better.lol..... ah well.. gotta learn somehow.. i learned the same way... bigger wasnt better...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought a kit winchester butcher kit from walmart my first year aswell the morning of gun season. It had a little three inch knife init i never could figure out why . Well today i was looking at it and figured out it was the gut knife it is made o you hold you finger on the back of the blade to keep from cutting the guts
ORIGINAL: MdDave

lol i think when everyone starts out they think the bigger the knife the better.lol..... ah well.. gotta learn somehow.. i learned the same way... bigger wasnt better...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

also guys is there a issue with germs with a folding knife i like the folding knifes because if it is in your pants pocket and you go into a store the do not know you have it toware with a belt knife it is there in open sight
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

germs??? nah not really ... when u get done fill your sink up with hot hot water an some liquid soap an let it soak... thats what i do. let it soak for an hour drain the water dry the knife off... spray lil rem. oil on it an good to use again...
Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

My favorite knife is an Old Timer / Schrade Beast. It is a folding knife with a regular tip and a serrated section as well.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 PM

I have always liked and been satisfied with most Gerber products. I have grown to really like gut hooks. Opening up the belly is just like zipper and you never need to worry about puncturing anything. You should also consider your sharpening ability. I'm not one who sits down with 5 different stones to put a surgical edge on my knife. I just use cheap pull throughsharpeners. In this case I like a knife with a little bit softer metal as they will accept an edge quicker although they also lose their edge quicker.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

My brother makes some good knives. These are some older ones, I'll see if I can get some pics of his newer stuff.

Quick Reply: what to look for in a good deer knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.