Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 string loop on hunting bows >

string loop on hunting bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

string loop on hunting bows

Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Default string loop on hunting bows

How many of you use string loops on your bows? Ive been considering putting one on but is it really worth the chance of not being able to get the release on for a quick shot
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string loop on hunting bows

You will either clip your release to the string, or to the loop. Takes about the same amount of time for either.

is it really worth the chance of not being able to get the release on for a quick shot
Taking " quick shots " is not condusive to good bowhunting. We owe it to the animal to make good shots or none at all.
There are several types of releases that attach to the string or loop, and stay there , if thats what your interested in. Of course these are hand held releases.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I think he meant quickly gettingthe bow up and preparedfor the shot which oftenoccurs in bowhunting, not recklessly taking a shot.

To the OP-Anotherbenefit of a loop on a hunting bow is it reduces additional string twist/torque that you mayencounter during an odd position tree-stand shot.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 PM

by 'quick shot' I meant what IAhuntr said other than rabbits never never rush a crappy shot
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually go through 2-3 string loops per bow string. The loop absorbs a lot of wear and tear that the string would receive otherwise. It also makes sense to me to keep the release directly behind the arrow. You loose a little draw length but I make up for it with a TruBall Xtra. Mosthunters use a string loop.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone other than myself. But, I've never had a D-loop cost me a shot at anything. (I've also never had one break or let loose on me, but then I tie a new one on every year before season whether it "looks" likeI need to or not.) I did switch to hunting with a Carter Chocolate Addiction clipped to the D-loop (so it hangs at the ready) a couple years ago. But, even when I still shot my Carter 2-Shot (and 1-Shot before that and Lil' Goose before that etc) I still had no problem hooking up in the heat of the moment. Today, I think things have gotten even better for the wrist strap release aid hunter as there are several "open jaw" release aids on the market which aid in rapid hook up to a D-loop such as the Carter "Quickie" models.

In my experience, shooting a D-loop has been all benefit with no downside since I tied my first ~7 years ago.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm about as "pure" a bowhunter as you'll ever find on these forums, and am just now beginning to dabble in acquiring some 3d rigs and learning more about that sport... I've never had a problem hooking up with a loop in the heat of the moment; like Big John said, you'll either hook up to a string or to a loop. Maybe it's a benefit of having killed so many deer over my bowhunting career, but I've had no problems looking down and clipping on to my loop.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Same here. I would have to say, though, that the caliper type releases are a bit slower to attach to a D loop than directly to the string. The hook type releases, like my Short 'N Sweet,are about the same . . . at least for me.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me either.......
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

I usually go through 2-3 string loops per bow string. The loop absorbs a lot of wear and tear that the string would receive otherwise.
I just started shooting a loop this spring and like it alot. I didn't realize they wore out that much. That seems like alot. Is this a common thing?

Quick Reply: string loop on hunting bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.