Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Went out yesterday......... >

Went out yesterday.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Went out yesterday.........

Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Went out yesterday.........

Just finished the butchering and wraping chores, man does man back hurt.............Anyway here is the story:
Yesterday afternoon I sat a stand that I has set up in early Dec. on the edge of one of my soybean foodplots, unfortunately the snow and ice are so deep it covered all the bean pods , so the deer were not using the plot. They were however skirting the edge and browsing the thicket were i was set up, being optimistic I set up my tree arm, just in time to see 7 does/fawns high tail it from the woodlot to my left (100 yards away) :x Well the afternoon was young, maybe I would get a chance later, I was had just finished my set up and started a short video intro when I heard what sounded like a tractor :shock: . It was my Dad plowing the snow from the feild road 200 yards to the south and directly between the bedding area and my tree! :roll: As I was finishing my intro and rolling some footage of the John "Deere" I looked to the east and spied two more mature baldies busting from the cover of the pines.........not one to give up easily, I sat the rest of the day.........About 10 mins. to dark I spied a deer moving from the bedding area towards me,then another and another........6 in total. The first 2 nannies got to my 25 yard lane and I let the second feel the sting of the ATOM, she ran toward the truck (bonus!) well because of the trail they took I did not get the camera swung on them in time, but i needed meat for the freezer so I let the Mathews eat regardless. As I was explaining the situation on tape the rest of the herd decided to walk within 15 yards of my tree, a nice fat doe was in my lane,but busted my draw, another yearling that was closer jumped back into a marginal lane and I let fly CRACK! Ohh that didn't sound right. As they made their departure I packed up and climbed down, I did not find my second arrow(closest yearling) nor any blood or hair, but the lack of moonlight made it difficult to see well even with the light. I moved to where i hit the first doe (mature one @ 25 yards) There in the snow stuck one blood soaked arrow! I trailed her for almost 100 yards and then decided it best if i backed out and waited til morning, the hit was a tad high. I went to where the other deer had re-entered the bedding area and searched for blood, found none.
Went back in this morning and found the big doe about 60 yards further down the trail, she was still warm :shock: , backing out was obviously the right decision, turns out I hadn't realized she was slightly qtr. to me and I had taken out the back of the facing lung and exited the liver. She had been licking the exit wound so much that a circle of hair was missing from around the hole almost 6 inches in diameter. Well we took some pics. and video , dressed her and pulled her to the truck (one of the easiest drags ever because of the snow).
Went back to the other woodlot and grid searched for close to an hour, no blood found, so we backtracked to the shot to look again for sign. No arrow,blood or hair..........must have hit a limb and deflected the arrow into the stratousphere! On the walk back to the truck we spied a small deer browsing it's way from the bedding area to wards us(11:30am) I had the can in my pocket and tipped it short a couple of times.....the deer grunted back and moved to a trail that would bring it 15 yards from us, while standing in the semi-open the button head walked to within 18 yards,stopped looked directly at me for almost a minute, then proceeded on his way.........if only he would do that 3 years from now while I have the bow in hand!
So once again we have fresh backstrap and a semi full freezer, will try and take one more good eating doe for the year and hopefully still have time to get the drop on a mature buck that hasn't shed yet.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Went out yesterday.........

Congrats on the doe !!

Tim
Old 12-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, Nice Doe.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

thats an expensive arrow to lose atom tipped and all.....congrats on the fun night though!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like a good sized doe, congrats on the deer and kudos for backing out!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks.........Arrowdynamic solutions is one of our sponsors so the head isn't too costly for me